8 gauge shotshell pics!

Third_Rail

I picked this beauty up earlier today for a small amount. I think it'll be kept on my desk next to the (now puny looking) 2 3/4" shell. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DuPont black powder load, Winchester manufacture. 1 3/4 oz BBB shot.

Attachments

• 8ga_1.jpg
    8ga_1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 5,080
  • 8ga_2.jpg
    8ga_2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 6,436
  • 8ga_3.jpg
    8ga_3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 6,532

mtnboomer

The 8 ga. was a monster by any definition! Guaranteed to loosen every filling in your mouth! Yes, they were used for commercial harvesting of game to the point of nearly depleting most species of wildlife in many areas - it was that efficient. The 8 ga. was probably the single biggest reason for states creating regulated hunting seasons. It's destructive power was also the reason the government restricted shotgun bore size to 10 gauge. :eek:

The 8 ga. was a monster by any definition! Guaranteed to loosen every filling in your mouth! Yes, they were used for commercial harvesting of game to the point of nearly depleting most species of wildlife in many areas - it was that efficient. The 8 ga. was probably the single biggest reason for states creating regulated hunting seasons. It's destructive power was also the reason the government restricted shotgun bore size to 10 gauge
Or it was that the states were tired of their citizens getting detached retinas. :D

Last edited:

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
A couple things about the 8 gauge.

Parker made several thousand 8 gauges and a smattering of 6 gauges. Most of these went to market hunters, who used them to pick off cripples after use of the punt gun. Punt guns ran up to 2" in diameter, were fastened to boats and resembled artillery more than shoulder fired arms.

Market hunters varied greatly, like any other group, but man for man they were tough as heck. Many worked outside all year, fishing, crabbing, oystering and hunting as the seasons changed.

And they could shoot well past the commonality. Such men, combined with the heavy doubles and slow powders of yesteryear, meant the recoil forces were just something to deal with.

One such man, in his seventies when I was a boy, handled a 10 gauge double and shot it like Jupiter hurling lightning bolts. He had his dad's punt gun mounted on the living room wall, and could seduce geese from over the horizon when he called.

We see few large gauges these days because they were regarded as tools, taken care of but not pampered. After they became illegal for geese, many rusted away in barns and boat houses.

Often loads like this one were used to flock shoot on rafts of geese, with lighter loads used for single birds. One loading I saw was 1 3/8 oz of 3s for big ducks like canvasbacks or geese over decoys.

steveno

I think that Remington still makes 8 gauge ammo (slugs only) and special guns for use in foundries for knocking slag out of the melting furnaces

pigeon shooter

People over this side of the pond still use them but most are home loaded shells also some use 4 bore shells at an amazing price £400 or $764 dollars for a bow of 25 :eek: :eek:

no 8

8 ga shotshell

The 8ga shotshell looks large,but in reality the shot load was from 1 3/4 oz to 2 1/4 oz ,in the early 1900s, no difference than todays 10 an 12 ga mag loads. Modern 8 ga loads are 2 1/2 oz, ive shot several 8 ga guns, the amount of recoil depends on the weight of the gun. My current 8 ga weight is around 11 pounds.8 ga are legal in some states for turkey hunting ect

Last edited: