7x57mm Mauser stock pic's

bigbird34

Well here goes nothing,a little HTML,trying to post pic's ,it's easy,if your memory allows you dig that deep to find all the answers to the questions....
Before....
DSCF2443.jpg

Sanded.....
DSCF2477.jpg

1-coat of tung oil.....5 more to follow(low gloss)...
DSCF2479.jpg

Post pictures is fun and frustrating all at the same time....enjoy BB34

taylorce1

I can't wait to see the finishe product, I've done a couple myself nice satin finishes using Tru-Oil. Sure a good way to kill the time without watching TV.

fisherman66

Looks good. You might as well clean up the checkering while you are at it. Are you going to keep the white line spacers?

bigbird34

Checkering

Unfortunaley,this is a "Raingun" hence the condition it was in....I'm trying to save an abused Mauser,that only sees nasty weather....after three hours of sanding and prep and constantly saying to myself "this is a raingun" the checkering did not get all the attention it deserved ....not enough time on my part,and I don't have the tools to really clean it up and make it look like new ....with that said,yes the white spacers are going back on the gun (after 2 more coats of tung oil.....it should look much better when finished !
Thanks BB34

RonJ

BigBird, do you mind telling us a little bit about the rifle? I've always wanted a nice 7x57 sporter built on a 98 action. I guess reading about Karamojo Bell is why I got the bug.

bigbird34

7x57 History

The 7x57 belongs to a friend of mine,he bought it in his youth, about 15 years old,he is now app 60.y.o.,It's a model 1895 Chilean Mauser,when he purchased it years ago it sporterized,and has a "Fajen " stock???) and an adjustable trigger ......and an older Leupold 3x9 scope.....it's a tack driver and is his foul weather gun,hence the condition you see it in ,in photo,number 1......the barrel/action is out to the gunsmith to be "bake coated"....and once I get it back .I'll post a pic of the completed rifle....when it is completed....Thanks BB34