7x57 vs 7mm-08

gmarr

Is this what the phrase 'new and improved' means? I've been trying to get some info on the differences, similarities, of these calibers and find both are versatile, accurate, and effective. Performance doesn't seem too different. So, which would you pick and why?

mapsjanhere

The advantage of the 7-08 is it fits into modern short systems, giving it a theoretical accuracy advantage. The 7x57 has been chambered in millions of rifles, so you will still find ammo when people ask 7mm oh what?
I personally am a 7x57 guy, but that's because it was my first real rifle.

mrawesome22

Rifle choices would be the reason to pick the 7mm-08Rem.

The only 7x57 in current production I can think of is the Ruger No.1.

Buzzcook

Basically it's like comparing the .30-06 to the .308.

The 7x57 has a bit more case capacity so it can be loaded a tad hotter.

Long action vs short. Not a big deal imho.

tahoe2

7mm fan

I like the ballistic coefficient of 7mm bullets (read-they fly really good)
I have two Spanish mausers in 7x57(mauser) dated 1931 & 1932, they still
shoot pretty decent for eighty year old guns (2"-3" @ 100 yds).
As for the 7mm-08, it is loaded to higher pressures and is extremely accurate,
it is also available in at least a dozen lightweight rifles, and recoil is very tolerable even for those small in stature.
The 7mm-08 will take deer, bear, and elk as well as many other game animals
in the hands of an accomplished shooter. However if you need(or want) more
power, the .280 Remington or 7mm Remington mag are also great rounds in
the 7mm stable. In my opinion you would definitely not be undergunned with
the 7x57 mauser or the 7mm-08. Good luck!

M93 1916 pattern Spanish long rifle
M95 pattern Spanish carbine

Attachments

• guns 055.jpg
    guns 055.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Scorch

Same same, either way you go. I am a 7X57mm guy, I like the cartridge a lot, have had several rifles in that chambering (just bought a Rem 700 Classic so chambered last year) and undoubtedly will have many more. 7x57mm is 120 years old now, it was one of the first truly modern cartridges ever (you ought to read the history of the development, it was quite scientific). 7mm-08 was introduced about 25 years ago to replicate the performance of the 7X57 in modern action proportions, and it is a fine cartridge as well. Biggest difference is the 1/4" of case length.

If I were to pick, a 7-08 would be appropriate in a Rem 700, a 7X57 would go well in an Oberndorf Mauser Model B. OK, OK, a Winchester Model 70. There! Happy?

Sarge

They are simply two different roads to the same destination. It's all in the route that suits your tastes.

HiBC

IMO,as has been said,they both are fine choices and do the same job.

If you are building on a Mauser,the 7x57 is quite at home.They were made fore each other.

If you are building on an action designed around the 308 case,go 7-08.

Mobuck

In a strong, modern rifle, the 7x57 has a slight edge over the 7mm08 but it's slim until bullets weigh over 150 grains. Similar to the ballistics comparison of the 6mm Rem and 243 Win(same cases, diff caliber).
I have rifles in both cartridges and they are basically the same with medium game type bullets. I second the idea of using the 7x57 in Mausers since their mag and feed lips are designed for this cartridge size/shape.

Gunplummer

A lot like the .243/6mm Remington. I have both. .243 in a 99 Savage and 6mm Rem on an Arisaka action. I agree with the others, it is about the rifle the cartridge is capable of feeding. I have a 7x57 on an Arisaka action and if I had a 7mm 99 Savage it would be (Not counting my 7-30 Waters) a 7mm-08. A lot of bolt actions will not feed the longer cases either. Like some of the others I prefer the longer cases, but it is just that. There is really not much difference.

7 X 57 in old military actions

such as M93, M95, M96, are limited by the weakness of those actions (some of which is due to weak metallurgical qualities of the steel used), so that your max velocity suffers. This leaves you about 200 fps lower MV than the 7-08, comparing factory ammo for both rounds.

But, in a modern, strong action, the 7X57 can be hand loaded to the same pressures as 7-08 SAMMI specs, with the result being about 100 fps more MV than the 7-08.

So, if you don't want to bother with hand loading, or the slight velocity gain isn't worth it to you, the 7-08 is your choice.

But, then again, if 2,660 fps MV is good enough for you (in a 139/140 grain bullet weight), then the 7X57 has such a soft recoil you can hardly feel it.:D

jmr40

Basically it's like comparing the .30-06 to the .308.

....I've never heard of the 7x57 round.

It is actually more like comparing a 30-06 to a 30-06

The 7X57 was the first successful modern cartridge developed in 1893. When US troops came up against Spanish troops carrying 7X57 rifles they knew we were way behind with our military weapons. Rather than adopting the German design, they simply took the 7X57 case and enlarged it to .30 and stretched it slightly longer to make the 30-03, which was very slightly modified 3 years later to become the 30-06.

Years later the 30-06 was basically shortened to make the 308. The 308 case has been necked up and down to make the 243, 260, 338 Federal and the 7-08.

When the 308 was necked down to 7mm the round had come full circle. After 100 years, the 1st successful smokless powder round had been re-invented. The 7-08 can be loaded in a true short action, but there have been a few 7X57's over the years loaded in some short action guns although most are in long actions. A 30-06 requires a long action.

A 7X57's case length is exactly 1/2 way between a 30-06 and the 7-08, but ballistically the 7X57 and 7-08 are equal. Actually if you stay within book loads the 7-08 is a little faster with equal bullet weights, but not enough to matter. That is why I said it is like comparing a 30-06 to a 30-06.

Picking one over the other is personal preference. Factory loaded 7X57 ammo is probably loaded on the light side, but with handloads it's about a tie. I see more of a selection of facory loads in 7-08 in stores if that is important. A 7-08 wil be in a short action, while most 7X57 guns will be in a long action.

If you handload, and are willing to push the envelope and load rounds above book loads, the greater case capacity of the 7X57 will get you more performance.

Mobuck

I can't imagine anyone has not heard of the venerable 7x57(7mm Mauser), it's only been around for something like 114 years.

thedaddycat

My M 95 Chilean Mauser is chambered in 7mm Mauser (7X57) and it's 117 years old. I had it at the range last week and was hitting a softball sized reactive target (some kind of self healing polymer ball) at 100 yards even with the tiny rear notch and my aging eyes. Older rifles like this are why factory ammo is not loaded too hot. In fact, this rifle is old enough that it's classified as "Antique non-firearm" by the BATFE. It still shoots pretty darn good for a "non-firearm" if you ask me.

My Mausers, 7mm Chilean top, 6.5mm Swedish bottom. The M 96 Swede was made in 1905.

100_6532.jpg

The "Manufactura Loewe Berlin" dates this one to 1895.

Christmas2011063.jpg