7x57 mm Mauser load

John D

Have two, turn of the century, rifles in this caliber. Have loaded for both before and still have ammo in my reload boxes. I always put the caliber, bullet weight, powder, and charge amount on the label of the box: 140g bullet, 43g of IMR 4895

It's been a couple of years since I've loaded this caliber and I've moved in-between. So, I loaded additional ammo based on what I've listed on my box label. Reading another thread, I happened to look up my load on the IMR website. It's showing a min/max load for this bullet weight/powder combo of 37.8 - 40.2 !! I'm certain that I checked the manufacturer's site when originally working up this load.

So now I've got 80 rounds at 43g and am worried to shoot it. I've shot several rounds in the past with no problems; no sticky cases, etc. A year ago my son and I shot about 30 roounds between the two rifles. Both rifles are very strong - a Remington Rolling Block and an 1895 Chilean Mauser. Thoughts?

HiBC

Yes,I have thoughts

I'd agree you have reason to be concerned.

Please do not shoot that ammo in the Rolling Block.Its not safe.

I'm going to give you seat of the pants,approximate numbers.More expert numbers based on research would be better,but its good you know this sooner.

There is the older blackpowder Rolling Block,and there is the "Smokeless" Rolling Block.I believe the 7x57 is the 1902 model.Its a good gun,but,for myself,about 40,000 psi is as high of a pressure as I would use in one(a 1902 Smokeless) that was in very sound condition.(No,I'm not the authority.) Note:A primer failure on a Rolling Block is not good.The firing pin may become a projectile with your eye as a target,but it will want to blow the hammer back first,unlocking the action.

I'm not saying you can't shoot 7x57 in the Rolling Block.I suggest you load it down. About like you were loading a 30-30 for a 94 Win.,or maybe a 30-40 Krag.Between us all,you'll get more specific info soon.(Done! see Hogdon link)

Your 1895 Chilean Mauser will be a small ring.Its not as strong as a 98 Mauser,and it lacks some of the gas controlof a 98.I'm not saying you should not use your 1895.But I would not +P it!!
Seat of the pants,not from a reference,I'd give a quick,ballpark answer of 48,000 or maybe 48,500 PSI .It may go "officially" a little higher.I'm being conservative.

In a modern rifle,like a Ruger 77 or a Rem 700 or even a good 98 Mauser,pressure can be higher.I don't know what SAAMI says,but something like 55,000 psi is probably good.In those modern rifles,I'd load to 30-06 pressures.
Norma loaded 150 gr loads at about 2750 fps long ago.I would not use those in the 1895,myself.

So now if your loading data is telling you that your older data is a few grains over max,thats probably for a 98 Mauser level load,and it would be a bad idea in older,weaker rifles.

Remember that steel is well over 100 years old,and heat treat technology was eyeballs and colors.

Enjoy them gently.

Update: This link will take you to a "Remington Society" thread.For your RB,chamber variation is a concern

http://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4500

After you have headspace formed brass per the Rem Society for your RB,

here is the latest IMR data off Hogdon's web page

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

IMO,this data should be good for your 1895.

Maybe the listed starting load would be OK in the Rolling Block.It shows 40,000 cup.I think that's on the hot side for a Rolling Block.The CUP scale is different than PSI. 40,000 CUP is more than 40,000 psi
I'm sure more folks will offer info.

Last edited:

Mobuck

" Both rifles are very strong - a Remington Rolling Block and an 1895 Chilean Mauser. "

I'm not sure about the Rolling Block but I will positively say the 1895 Mauser is NOT "very strong". Those are in the "under 45K group" and no where near the M98 class.
I load 7x57 to levels suitable for "modern bolt actions" and use those loads in a re-barreled VZ24 and a commercial Interarms MK10. My powder of choice in these 24" barrels is H414 and I'm getting around 2900 fps out of 140 grain Nosler BT's.

Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have a Rem rolling block #5

Last edited:

HiBC

Clark,I hope the day never comes that your advice gets someone killed.

What,exactly,are you trying to say? There is more barrel steel wrapped around a 38 spl and the case head is smaller than a 7x57.
Whatever you manage to do with your sample of one RB,that does not mean its a good idea to green light 7x57 loads that are over current published data.
This will show you what some blown up RB's look like.(Amazing!! They DO blow up!)

Note the shooter is subject to more violence than a typical bolt blow up.Oh,also note a fatality was mentioned

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/RBfailure.html

This link will take you to a discussion of RB strength at Cast Boolits

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?52526-Rolling-Block-strenght

Once again,I like RB's. Good rifle! Enjoy shooting them.

Its not a Ruger # 1

Last edited:

John D

Correction!

SORRY! I remembered the amount but not the powder! It was 43g of H4350, not IMR. This is the starting load for 7x57. This is what I get for using my memory and not my ID labels. Thanks again for all the input.