7mm Weatherby Magnum

gmarr

I'm looking at a custom Mauser 98 in 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Besides that I like a custom Mauser I've always been interested in the Weatherby cartridges.

So, besides being expensive how are they in real world performance? I'm not replacing a rifle, and I have a 300 WSM, a .264 Win mag, and of course a couple of .30-06's. It's more of I always liked it kind of thing.

What's the verdict on this 7mm?

Scorch

A little bit more oomph at any given range and a little more recoil than the 300 Win Mag with similar weight bullets due to a larger powder charge. They do shoot flat and can be very accurate. Just ask yourself "do I need more energy" and you'll have the answer you are looking for.

Mobuck

With similar barrel length not that much more than 7mm Rem mag. Like the 270 Wby, I always felt the 7mm Wby was just something to fill the catalog.

44 AMP

Staff
The round has high numbers, but will YOU get them???

Weatherbys rifles had considerable freebore, so the bullet got a good running start before hitting the rifling. This, and a LOT of powder for the bore size usually gave higher velocities, than other rounds, but not always.

Every barrel is different, you might get advertised velocities, you might not. If you don't shoot over a chronograph, you'll never know.

One friend of mine loved his .270Wby, until he got a chronograph, and found his 22" .270 Win was 30fps faster...

His happened to be a slow barrel it seems, other Weathebys have lived up to their ads, or close.

Brass will be expensive and if pushed hard, not all that long lived. With a normal barrel throat, watch for erosion. You're putting a lot of hot gas down a pretty narrow pipe.

Custom gun, means custom chamber too, so work up your loads CAREFULLY.

Roadkill2228

Scorch, I think you're thinking of a different casing. The 7mm weatherby does not have greater powder volume than they.300 win mag. It is based on the same 30-06 length casing as the .257 and .270 weatherby, both of which will have lesser case volume than the .300 win mag with its short neck and pushed forward shoulder. Near identical to a 7mm Rem mag if loaded to same pressure (if you don't handload stay away from this one price wise). Real world about 200 fps faster in factory ammo because weatherby loads hot and incorporates much more free bore. That and their cartridges are endowed with a seemingly magical shoulder geometry ;)

std7mag

If you want it go for it.
Expensive, but thats your call if you can afford it.

Roadkill,
Shoulder geometry doesn't show any appreciable gain in velocities.

muzzleblast...

A custom 98 Mauser in 7mm Weatherby sounds like a good acquisition regardless of whether it achieves factory velocity claims, or actually provides any advantage over the .264 Win. Mag, etc.

Don Fischer

Whatever cartridge a guy thinks he want's he should go ahead and get. My own thought's on something like that, guy already know's what cartridge he want's are meaningless. If for no other reason than I've never shot any Weatherby in fact haven't shot any Magnum at all in close to 30 yrs.

But if you should decide to not get it, you'll wonder for the rest of your life if you did the right thing. Go for it!