7mm Valkyrie gets it done

CarJunkieLS1

This morning I got my second deer with my 7VAR! It was complete luck. I had a doe come by early this morning and I had a shot, but couldn't "make the shot" I had to try to stand up and shoot because she was so far downhill to me.

I started to stand up and she saw me move. I froze and a few seconds later she white flagged me and took off. I was so mad if I didn't have a bum shoulder, my shooting side too. (surgery Sept. 27) I was 100% I could've made the shot without having to stand up.

After a few more hours of sitting myself and my hunting partner were headed out of the woods walking through a field back to the truck. Two does ran across the field in front of us and we froze. They stopped just short of a thicket and turned to look at us. To our amazement the started walking toward us!!

My partner shouldering his rifle (AR-15 in 6x45) as I fumbled with mine, bad shoulder remember, lol. He got his crosshairs on one and pulled the trigger "CLICK" He said "shoot her" as I finally got my rifle raised to my weak side I found one in my scope. At ~60 yards facing right at us I put it on her chest and BOOM!! Seemed like this whole ordeal lasted forever but it was over in less than 10 seconds. It was like time stood still...

She ran into the thicket and we lost sight of her. We went after her and found a good blood trail. 30 yards later there she was. I couldn't be happier with how my Valkyrie did. Weak side, unsupported and standing. I was able to make a good clean ethical shot :)

Bayoubulldog

Yes in deed! That's a good story. I hate to admit it, but that's about how all of my hunting trips go!

Cool caliber for sure.

CarJunkieLS1

Thanks Bayou! I'm really liking this round. It's light recoil, a small semiauto package, and is 95% of 7-08 velocities with the same barrel length.

CarJunkieLS1

Thanks Globe. It was weak side unsupported and standing. I can't complain one bit. Shot wasn't 200 yards or anything but was ~60 yards or so. I had been practicing for months shooting right handed, because I knew I couldn't shoot on my repaired shoulder for a while. I guess my practice and range time paid off.