7mm STW with RL 33

stagpanther

After shooting some 22lr this morning a front went through and the sun came out so I decided to go out again but this time try out some new powder (RL 33) on my 7mm STW--some of the best big magnum powders like H1000 have been inducted into the halls of unobtainium. I made a fairly stupid mistake and failed to notice in the middle of shooting that the winds had swung from SW to NW. Why only 4 shots? Because my supply of large rifle magnum primers is reaching the end--only a few hundred left. I don't know what I'll do after that, I do shoot a lot of fairly large magnum cartridges. The powder seems to work pretty well though I noticed it fouls the bore pretty dirty.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7mm STW 183 MK 86.2 RL33 343 yds.jpg
    7mm STW 183 MK 86.2 RL33 343 yds.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 115

ligonierbill

I've been trying to find some. Another candidate for 338 RUM. Thought the great shortage was easing, but powder and primers are still spotty. Good luck.

stagpanther

I've been trying to find some. Another candidate for 338 RUM. Thought the great shortage was easing, but powder and primers are still spotty. Good luck.
There is a possible saving grace for the powders if you go to Vihtavouri's website and use their reloading tool to find powders that fall within the ballpark of your cartridge. I have a couple of them and the last time I checked powder valley had a few of them available in both 1 and 8 pounders. Then cross-check in QL and as always start low--but not too low, I find funky things can happen with voluminous cases if they are not fairly close to full capacity--like hangfires.

stagpanther

I finally got the chance to get the labradar set up and gather some data--pretty impressive, when I plot the basics in a ballistics calculator the MPBR appears to go out to 300 yds [edited, I was looking at MOA column at first]. I set this project aside for quite a while--given its reputation as a barrel roaster I only shoot around 10 cartridges at a time with around 3 minutes between shots. I'm guessing I presently have somewhere around 200 to 250 shots through the shilen SS barrel and while there are some signs of incipient light throat erosion--which I get generally on all big magnum barrels fairly soon, the rest of the bore is in excellent condition. I have about 80 cases that have been used repeatedly, most of them I made from PPU 375 H&H cases but also have some made-to-order Quality cartridge 7mm STW cases. All of them had to be fire-formed to the specific match chamber on the barrel. The recent shooting was done with a vortex diamondback scope which I think is simply not up to the task of good magnified resolution out to longer distances, so I just pulled my recently reconditioned burris XTR 2 off the 338 LM and put it on the 7mm STW and hope that helps. While the 183 gr works, it's probably a bit on the big side for really long range stuff so I'll drop back in size some in the next bullet choice.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7mm STW 183 MK 86.6 RL33 343 yds labradar.jpg
    7mm STW 183 MK 86.6 RL33 343 yds labradar.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

stagpanther

BTW--I scored a couple of pounds of VV N560 to try out as an alternative, started out with a smaller cartridge 270 WSM and shot two test groups at 170 yds both printed just under MOA, will try it on the the larger 7mm STW soon.