7mm Remington Magnum HURTS!!!

N00b_Shooter

Dad gave me an Interarms Mark X in 7mm Rem Mag and a leupold fixed 12 times scope that he bought about 25 years ago and i thought i'd give it a shot today at the range....Now i wish i didn't. I'm not a huge guy but I'm not a small guy either and i presumed it would be just a little bit more powerful then a .308 I only fired 2 rounds and that was about 5 hours ago and my shoulder is killin me. I know its proberbly my inexperience that got me hurt but i was holding it tight right into my shoulder just like i got taught and it still didn't help.

I dont understand how people shoot big calibers with no problems. Whats the best way to reduce the recoil? Balistically it sounds like a great caliber and the rounds were light 140 grain hand loads. Just dont know how i'm supposed to fire 10 - 20 rounds through it in a day.

If anyone is interested i will post some picks, its a great looking rifle and looks new.

Para Bellum

the gun becomes mechanically a part of you, it can only move your mass but can't kick

Watch this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ged4lz_Fw2Y&feature=related

And wait until the last guy. He handles the 500 Nitro.
You must leave the gun no way but solid into your shoulder. Hold the stock tight. If the gun becomes mechanically a part of you, it can only move your mass but can't kick you...

SeattleGunNut

Sounds like the rifle was a bad fit, more than anything. Am I correct in assuming you were firing from a bench? If that was the case, you will feel more recoil as your shoulder and upper body pretty much absorb the entire recoil impulse. Firing from a standing position, while inherently less accurate, will save your shoulder some punishment as you can absorb the recoil with more of your body.

A good recoil pad, like one by Pachmyr, would do your shoulder no small amount of justice. 7mm Magnum is a relatively stout cartridge, but should by no means leave your shoulder aching for hours afterward, having only fired two rounds. To me, that implies the rifle was a bad fit, or was intended for a purpose other than benchrest shooting at a range.

The most powerful rifle I own is a Weatherby Mark V, chambered in .30-378 Weatherby Magnum. It is capable of sending a 200 grain bullet downrange at 3300 feet per second, delivering nearly 5000ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. Without the various gadgetry on the rifle to reduce the felt recoil, it would deliver a punishing 55+ pounds of recoil to the shoulder of the shooter. Because of the pad, and muzzle brake, practically anyone who can handle a .270 Winchester can shoot my .30-378.

The moral of this story? A rifle that is not ergonomically sound will leave your shoulder in a sad state of affairs.

nimbleVagrant

do you need to shoot 10-20 rounds at a time? Hunting rifles are light and the magnums can be uncomfortable but their intended use isn't burning through a box of ammo. If you're interested in target shooting with the 7mm mag you need a target oriented rifle. heavy barrel, heavy stock, cushy recoil pad and a muzzle brake can make a world of difference.

SeattleGunNut

Couldn't agree more, nimblevagrant.

A recoil pad should be just about standard equipment, these days. I can't think of a reason not to use one. I need to get one for my Winchester 94AE .44 mag lever action. I never thought that gun would be near so punishing. 10 rounds of full-house Double-Tap 300gr loads had me thinking otherwise.

N00b_Shooter

Yeah i know what use mean, it is a hunting rifle but even still i would like to shoot target with it every now and then. Would shooting prone make it abit less painful? I was shooting from a bench and it was my first time, i have shot for months but it was all prone. I'll be getting my .308 in about a week so i dont plan on shooting the 7mm very much but it would still be nice to know what i should do for use in the future.

Oh and the back just feels like rock hard plastic.

SeattleGunNut

Shooting prone will, in fact, make it MORE painful as less of your body mass will be used in absorbing the recoil. The single biggest thing you can do to soften the felt recoil impulse is put a good pad on the butt.

N00b_Shooter

would changing the stock or barrel to b heavier help at all? probably wont do it but will it help? or not really worth it when you could fix most of the problem with a break and recoil pad?

Logs

I have a Rem 700 in 7mm mag. I put a new recoil pad on last year and it made a HUGE difference. Muzzle break can also help, but try a pad first.

nimbleVagrant

Added weight will reduce recoil at the cost of portability. Have a good pad fitted and the stock adjusted to your length of pull and then see how it feels. If it's still unbearable and you still really want to shoot it, talk to a smith about a brake.

Kreyzhorse

A 7mm is stout, but certainly not un-shootable. As mentioned, a new recoil pad should take most of the bite out if it. Keep in mind, it will always recoil and you'll know you shot it, but its a manageable recoil.

Shorthair

I would suggest you put a new stock on it. I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. I rebuilt it a few years ago, new barrel and a Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic stock. The butt is straight and it wears a nice thick butt pad. I shoot it with a t-shirt in the summer, 20 rounds or more at a time and enjoy every round. You can find it here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=147675
For comparison, my dad has a Ruger M77 with the factory wood stock, the thin red butt pad. Absolutely miserable to shoot.
Yes. Post pics.

Big-Foot

The 120 gr Ballistic Tip out penetrates many 140s because of it's thick jacket, it's fully penetrated elk and moose.

The 120 TSX/TTSX also but they are for hunting only because of the cost.

Lighter bullet, less recoil.

a7mmnut

That's old technology, and I'm full of it!

1. Restock the rifle in something like the Hogue Overmold.

2. Install the Limbsaver pad on what you have.

3. Use a "Past" shooter's aid pad.

4. Shoot Remington "Managed Recoil" ammo.

5. Install a muzzle break.

6. Buy a new 7mm-08 and forget Dad's rig!;)

-7-

Scorch

Just put a better recoil pad on it. I like Pachmayer Decelerators, but you may like something else. Talk to your smith.

FWIW, I had virtually the same rifle in 375 H&H, and it kicked a bit, but with a Pachmayer Decelerator on it, it was a shove rather than a kick.