7mm Rem mag reloading data.

12-34hom

Started loading for this round, Have exhausted many of the normal avenues for reloading data, If anyone has a pet load they would like to share i would be interested. Thanks very much in advance.

T. O'Heir

7mm Rem Mag reloading data is in every manual published. It's also on every load data site. Here's one. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
I'm partial to the Lyman manual. It has more loads using more powders and bullet weights than any bullet or powder maker's book. It includes an "Accuracy Load" for every bullet weight tested too. I've found whatever powder was used for that is a really good place to start. Usually where I stop too.
You must work up the load for your rifle. No 2 rifles will shoot the same load, the same way.

Bart B.

Last edited:

ligonierbill

Not sure why you are not finding data, there's plenty, but I will share what has worked for me. Also a caution on the addictive nature of reloading.

I have been happy for a long time with 160 SGK or Nosler AB over Re-22 and a CCI 250. Not the hottest, these run about 2,950 with <10 Std and shoot MOA from my older M700. Good to go. But, no, I continue to fool with it.

I found that 139 Barnes LRX goes 3,150 (same powder and primer), and 4 out of 5 were touching. Me or the rifle pulled the 5th off 1 1/2", but it looks like another winner. Now I'm done, not. Reviewing my new Sierra manual, it appears I can do a little better with those 160's and Vihtavouri N560. Then I have some 175's I need to work up. Same powders look promising. Never ends when you're an addict. Have fun and beware.

reynolds357

Started loading for this round, Have exhausted many of the normal avenues for reloading data, If anyone has a pet load they would like to share i would be interested. Thanks very much in advance.

140 gr ballistic tip. Fed magnum primer. 70 gr MRP.
Even though it's under some published data it's over some published data as well. Work up.
Its too hot in one of my 7 mags and I can go over 72 in the other one.

jmr40

Knowing what you want to do with it would help. I've owned a couple of 7 mags over the years. One before I started reloading, or owned a chronograph.

My goal for the 2nd one was to put together some 160-162 gr loads and use the rifle for elk. There were lots of published data, but none come close to published speeds until I tried reloder 25. I could get the speed I wanted, but not the accuracy. The loads I shot with good accuracy with other powder offered me no advantage over what I could do with my 30-06.

The 7 mag looks good on paper, but I eventually gave up on it.

reynolds357

Knowing what you want to do with it would help. I've owned a couple of 7 mags over the years. One before I started reloading, or owned a chronograph.

My goal for the 2nd one was to put together some 160-162 gr loads and use the rifle for elk. There were lots of published data, but none come close to published speeds until I tried reloder 25. I could get the speed I wanted, but not the accuracy. The loads I shot with good accuracy with other powder offered me no advantage over what I could do with my 30-06.

The 7 mag looks good on paper, but I eventually gave up on it.
7 Rem Mag is an awesome hunting round. It has even done well in 1k benchrest. It is a very accurate cartridge that has wide, easy to find nodes.

hooligan1

Op, not enough data, to compile data.
I have tested so many bullets and powder combos in my rifle, so more info needed, as far as brass, primers, powders, bullets...

Wendyj

I load 160 accubonds at book max load and it’s fast as I’ll ever need and devastating. Accurate for sub moa at all ranges I’ve tried. Second and third choice is 140 NBTs and 145 speers.

Bart B.

The 7 Rem Mag has a best accuracy barrel life of about 800 rounds.

When used in competition, best accuracy happened with a grain or two below absolute max. Winning the race to the target was not the objective.

Natty270

I just worked up a load for my Remington 7mm mag XCR 26" barrel. 60 grains of IMR4831 with 139 grain Hornady Interlock, GM215m primers. Shot 3/4" moa. 3.250 COAL using the Hornady 10 Edition Data. I hunt deer with my 270 and use IMR4831. I don't use the 7mm mag to hunt deer much anymore, but wanted to work up an accurate load. I also loaded some RL-19 with the same bullet, but have not gotten a chance to shoot them yet. I'm not sure if I will due to the IMR4831 load being so accurate, although I believe the RL has more temperature stability (which could be beneficial hunting in WI).

Fun stuff, but my tinitis is working me lately after shooting that mag. It will go back on the shelf and the .243 is coming back out.

GeauxTide

As mentioned, there is a lot of variance in 7mm Rifles. I've owned 4 700s, and they've all been different. My last two, a CDLSF and an SPS did not have the short throats of the others. I have always been able to reach top velocity with 154 and 160gr bullets (3050-3100) Brian Pearce has a recent article in Handloader of 350 loads. My last load with a 139 Interbond was with a near max load of RL19 from Hornady X. I'm gonna try RL22 on my next loads.

Rifletom

I have to go with jmr40's answer here. The 7mm RM is a very good cartridge, but, it does nothing the 30-06 can and will do. Just a couple of guys opinions I suppose.

FITASC

For smaller critters a 140 will work with a wide variety of powders
Personally, in MY 700BDL, I use either Sierra 160 BTSP or Nosler Partition, depending on the quarry. I have had success with 7828, 4350 and 4831

hooligan1

I like IMR 7828 with 168 VLD's, and 160 grn Accubonds. Currently have a Satterly test setting on the bench, 168 grn ablr's and 175 grn ablr's with Retumbo powder, as soon as its finished I may have an amazing load for those bullets as well.