7mm Rem Mag Minimum Barrel Length

jsflagstad

I have a brand new stainless Winchester model 70 7mm Rem Mag that I have never done anything with. I have nothing into the gun, because I won it in a drawing. My dad is bound and determined to get me to make it into a "Mountain Carbine" as he puts it having the barrel cut down. I think that the new "Frontier Rifle" by Ruger sparked his intrest in this area.

I guess my main question is if I do decide to have the barrel shortened, how short can I go and still have decent performance? I'd like the gun to have decent performance out to 300 yards or so. I think it is a neat idea if we can get the combination to work. I am thinking it would look kind of neat with a ventilated rib as well.:D I think that Thompson has it performing rather well in some rather short barrel lenghts in the Encore so why wouldn't it work for me?

I will be handloading for this rifle so I will be able to work up a good load for it.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

JSF

cntryboy1289

24" is ideal

I have the Ruger MkII SS 7mm Remington Magnum with the 24" barrel. I wouldn't want it any shorter than that myself. With the skeletonized stock, the gun only weighs in at around 6 1/2lbs. Your decision though. I would use a faster burn rate powder if you go with a shorter barrel though.

Harry Bonar

bbl. length.

Dear Shooter:
If your bbl length is 26" DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT shorten it. Also, DO NOT let ANYONE turn down that bbl to "lighten it. The two inches mean nothing for "mountain" use and it serves greatly for using the velocity inherant in a 26" bbl. Do Not shorten it. If you need a "light" rifle because of weight and your health is good - exercise!
I would however glass bed the recoil lug area only, float that bbl all the way out from the action and have the crown renewed by a good gunsmith - use the recessed target crown, not 11 degree. Learn how to correctly pull a trigger and do not go below 3 - 4 lbs!
You will find using Federal Premium that it may shoot - if not start handloading. The reason I recomment re-crowning is that Winchester bbls need it.
Also, make sure both lugs on the bolt contack their mating in the action (Winchester is pretty good on this).
"Do not turn down the bbl" - The reason I say this is that if you take the "skin" off of a bbl, warpage can occur. And, if you and Dad are careful (and I'm sure He is) you two can do the glass bedding - I like Brownells "Steel-Bed." Be sure to use release agent!
Harry B.

James K

Member In Memoriam
You can take it down to 16 inches and be legal. And if anyone asks you how it shoots, you reply, "Eh?"

Jim

HSMITH

I wouldn't shorten it either. Even handloading you won't be able to get 4 or 6 inches of barrel performance back. My 7mag is 24" and is two inches too short IMO.

If you want a small light carbine get a M7 or a M70 Featherweight in 7mm-08 and have it reamed for 284 Winchester. Performance of the 284 will be very close to 7mag if both have 18" barrels.

Joe Bloggs

I bought my Winchester M70 Stainless in 7 Mag ahead of other choices BECAUSE it has a 26" barrel. The only things you will accomplish by cutting it are reduced performance and increased muzzle blast. 2 or 4 inches of that barrel are going to save no more than a few ounces in weight - you are better off putting a lightweight scope on it than chopping bits off it.

jsflagstad

284 is really impressive!!!

I looked at the charts for the 284, That is one impressive cartridge! Why don't more people use it??? Why aren'y more rifles champered in it?

Kind of like a 10mm Auto Pistol Round? Great round, but just not that well received??

JSF

cntryboy1289

Ilike it myself

I am in the process of building one right now. A lot of folks got so caught up in the 6.5x.284 madness, that they forgot about the fine 7mm bullets that are available.

HSMITH

JSF, I have a couple 284's and they are great rifles. On game performance is nearly identical to 30-06 and 280 rem but with a much shorter barrel and lighter rifle. Efficiency is where the 284 shines.

Recoil is a factor though, no free lunch when you start packing that level of performance in a small light carbine.

I don't understand why the 284 hasn't been more popular, I can only guess that it is because there wasn't a catchy name (like short magnum) used.