7mm Rem Mag and Hornady 162gr ELD-X

Don Fischer

Working on a rifle for a friend and ran into something I've never seen before. Started seating the bullet's just off the lands. Left plenty of room in the magazine. Working up a load, I always fire one round at a time. Did the same with this one. Then I found the rounds wouldn't feed from the magazine! OLL was 3.340 and the Hornady book calls for 3.290. So seated them to 3.290 and tried again, no good. Still wouldn't feed from the magazine. So I dropped back to 3.280 and now they feed? Don't know what to think!

hagar

I always loaded the 162 Amax long in my 7mm Sendero, and they never gave me any problems. Maybe the rounds are hitting the top of your chamber?

Wendyj

I run same eldx at 3.290 out of Tikka magazine. No issues. Really nice bullet in the 7 mag. Reloader 22 is your friend with these.

std7mag

I've found that loading too long does have the bullet itself hitting the chamber wall when coming up from the magazine.

Best grouping for me seems to be about 0.020" off the lands.

RL22 is good, RL26 better. :D:

Wendyj

RL 26 Would be a gold bar if we could find it here. All Alliant powder is getting slim. I bought last 3 lbs at LGS of Unique last week just because it was all I had seen since fall of last year. I think I only have about 1 1/2 lbs of Reloader 22 left.