7mm mag and Varget

TJ Freak

I'm seriously thinking about loading up 120 gr sierra spitzer over 54 gr of Varget in a Rem 700. I've been noticing that the slower burning 4831 powder is recommended for the 7 mag. by many. Am I just wasting my time with this load or is it worth a try in anyone's opinion.

Trapper L

I've never used it in a 7mag but have used Varget in other belted cases and it worked just fine. You should be getting close to 3100'ps out of it. Here's the Sierra ballistic profile on it in case you don't have it.
http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/4th-rifle_tables/pdf/284120spt.pdf

Using a slower powder may get you an additonal 100'ps. Considering the amount of additional powder versus cost, the Varget makes decent sense IF it shoots with the accuracy that you are looking for. I think you will be pleased. From the Hodgdon website, max load for a 120 is 57.0 grs.

The main problem is you are only filling the case to about 72-75% of capacity with these loads. You may get up to 150 fps difference in velocity depending on whether the powder is forward in the case or back over the primer when you light it up. If you have a chronograph and your range rules allow it, just tip the muzzle down and bring it carefully up to level (so as not to disturb the powder) before firing each of 5 rounds. Look at the mean velocity and ES. Repeat the experiment, but tipping the muzzle up instead of down. Compare the results.

At 100 yards, that kind of extreme spread may not affect your accuracy. At 300 yards the difference in drop will become apparent, and groups will open up.

Linear Thinker

For target shooting or for downloading the 7mm down to 7x57 ballistics, Varget should be fine. It's a great powder, and my favorite in 308.
Be careful to not exceed published data, as Unclenick noted you will be underusing the case capacity. If you fill 7mm to capacity with Varget, serious pressure issues will arise.
H4831 is my favorite in 7mm, and I highly recommend it.
LT

castnblast

1+ on H4831...However, I've been curious about varget as well...let us know how it goes...shoot me a p.m. if you don't mind w/ your results.