7mm bullets

scoobydoo6906

I am thinking about buying a 7mm mag and or a 7mm-08 and I am wandering about bullet cost compared to .30 cal. I am sure its pretty equal but I am just checking. so I am also looking for recommendations for good bullets for deer in the 140ish grain range with a fairly high B.C, and also bullets for elk in the 160+ grain range with a fairly high B.C. will be procuring reloading stuff soon so don't worry about bullets being available in a factory loading. hell if you got a pet load and are kind enough to pass on the particulars including velocity I would be thankful.

RLFD5415

7mm bullets tend to be a bit more expensive than 308's, actually.

I shoot 7mm-08. I've had good success with both the Hornady 162g and the Remington 175g.

Let's see, my m77 will digest 39.0 grains of H4895 and spit out that 162g Hornady at 2614 fps with fair accuracy. It likes it best if I feed it Federal 210 primers and wrap it in a Remington case. I seat the bullet .02 off the lands. What else, ah, the M77 has a 20" barrel.

Hope this helps.

OK, I wasn't gonna give up my best load, but me m77 prefers 37.5 g of H4895. Slows evveything down to 2500 fps, but improves accuracy greatly. Barrel harmonics, eh.:eek:

Horseman

The cost of good quality bullets seems to be similar across the board IMO. Sometimes the more common calibers and weights have more bulk or lower grade bullets available though. If you get a 7mm Rem Mag you owe it to yourself to shoot a 162 grain Hornady A-Max over IMR 4831. The ballistic coefficient is in the .600's which is ridiculous. I have a 700 Sendero SF II that shoots A-Max's in the .3's-.5's. They are a thing of beauty. Less fliers than Sierra Matchkings too.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
There wouldn't be enough difference in the cost of 7mm bullets compared to .30s to be worth worrying about.

Absent shots well beyond 200 yards as a regular thing, I'd take the 7mm08 over the 7mm Maggie, but that's just my own opinion...

I bought a Rem 700 Ti in 7mm08. Sub-MOA with both Speer and Factory 139/140-grain bullets. I was pleasantly surprised to find they have the same POI at 100 yards!

oneounceload

My 7mag likes 120-175 bullets, but it's favorite is a Sierra 160SPBT ahead of 62 grs of IMR 4831 - it also likes 4350, 7828 and Speer 160's almost as well - blows through mulies and does the job on elk just fine

thekyrifleman

I shot 140 gr Sierra Pro Hunters from my 7Mag for over 30 yrs. Did extremely well on deer. They are by far the least expensive and in my opinion after using Nosler, Barnes, etc. the absolute best buy. Go to the 160 gr for heavier game.

scoobydoo6906

I am actually planing on buying both in the near future. the 7mm-08 is going to be a Remington 700 sps varmint. as for the 7mm mag I am not completely decided yet.

Horseman

The finest 7mm Rem Mag made today is the Sendero SF II IMO. You need to see one in person to appreciate them. That polished stainless with black flutes is very nice. Mine shoots between 1/4" and 1/2" @100 yds with AMax's.

crowbeaner

I'd go with the 7mm/08 myself. There isn't any game here that requires a 7 mag. The Hornady 139 grain Interlock, the Sierra 140 grain, and the Speer 130 grain spitzers all work well. Cost is the same as .30 caliber bullets, at least around here. The 7/08 will shoot farther than my diabetic vision will allow me to shoot accurately, and the knockdown power of those 3 bullets is excellent. The Hornady is the toughest of the 3, and it will expand reliably even at 200+ yards.

8t6gt

7mm rem mag if you buy your ammo its gonna be right around in the same price range as .270 and 30-06 of the same brand. 7mm-08 is gonna be a bit more

Both awesome rifles if I had to choose one (even tho your getting both) I would get a 7mm-08 just cause I can take any animal in Michigan here with a 7mm-08 I dont need the extra power of a the mag. But if I was hunting out west for elk or long range Muley shots the Mag would be the way to go

scoobydoo6906

I think I have decided on the Remington 700p in 7mm mag for my 7mm mag. 7mm-08 is going to be a Remington sps varmint, the 7mm mag is going to be a 700p,any thoughts on these two rifles?