7mm-08 folks

thesheepdog

Hello,

I am in the process of building a precision long range platform off of a Savage 10 action, using a 26" 7mm-08 target barrel.

I want to know you guys experience with this cartridge at long (1000+ yards) distance and what kind loadings you're using.

I am attending a 5 day sniper course this fall so the more knowledge I have before I go, the better.

P.S. Anyone load 180 VLD's?

TATER

I am playing with a 20" 7mm-08 right now.
I am not sure of 180 with 26"....
You could pull it off with 162's though.. I think 284 Win in a long action would have been a better option for your application..

Doyle

TATER is right. If you want to shoot REALLY heavy bullets out of either a 7mm-08 or .260, you need a long-action based rifle. Those long bullets just don't fit into a short-action chamber unless you seat them way too deep.

thesheepdog

Well, I plan to use 168 Bergers and 162 Amax for LR stuff anyway, I was just curious if anyone has experimented with the 180's.

tobnpr

You could pull it off with 162's though..

The 162 A-Max is the main reason I went with the 7-08 chambering on my Savage re-barrel. Can't beat that BC...

I've only had it to 1000 twice, still doing load development, but it's showing great results with H4350.

FiveInADime

I really like Reloader 17 for heavier 7mm-08 loads. I started out with the SMK 150s in mine and have great results to 500 yards. My gun has a 22" barrel with a 1:9.5 twist so I haventtried heavier bullets. I was going to have a barrel made for my gun in .260Rem but after working with 7-08 I think I am going to stick with it when I get a new tube.

tobnpr

I really like Reloader 17 for heavier 7mm-08 loads.
I was talking to someone last time at the range and he suggested the same thing... I've got to go to the reloading supply house tomorrow to pick up some "stuff"...I think I'll see if they have any.

Sheep, it's a Shaw barrel, varmint contour (Duracoat)...I made the stock in house. The brake is a Kahntrol- I picked it up off the Hide for a song and lucked out- it fit the barrel contour perfectly. I'd never believed in "clamp-on" brakes until I used this one. Hasn't budged (and won't), and takes the recoil down to .223 levels. I can spot my misses (and, occasionally, hits) without needing a spotter.

Five-in-Dime- 9-1/2 twist is what I have, it stabilizes these bullets just fine. Punch the numbers into the JBM calculator, it's no problem...

Saltydog235

I shoot 150 BT's out of mine over 45.5grns of H4350 over a Win LR primer. Velocity is right at 2700fps out of my 26" Rem 700. Accuracy is under .5". Does well to 500 but haven't gotten the chance to do any further.

A couple of 700's in Sebum Oh Ate.

P7082_zpsd99d8c1a.jpg

IMG_20120303_101027.jpg