74 Mags?

Venom1956

My AK just happened to come in to my LGS recently. Ordered it over six months ago.

Now with all the panic buying I can't find any 74 mags... :mad: I was hoping some cheap 10 buck tapcos and a few nicer black arsenal ones. Anyone know where I could find some... for a sane price? :(

Venom1956

How are the steel mags? I've got a lead on some new ones that are 'only' 30 bucks :mad: he doesn't know the manufacturer, but he thinks they are Romanian. Are there any certain steel ones to avoid?

Hairbag

What kind of AK is it? Better look into it before you start spending $$$ because they all don't fit the same. I have found that the bulgarian circle 10 mags work real well. Kvar sells em and i think 45rds mags too.

Ridge_Runner_5

I've seen very few metal mags for the AK-74.

US Palm and Tapco make polymer 5.45 mags that should be fine.

I'm stocked up on bakelites and bulgarian poly mags, myself :D

83Ftxl.jpg

Tucker 1371

How are the steel mags? I've got a lead on some new ones that are 'only' 30 bucks he doesn't know the manufacturer, but he thinks they are Romanian. Are there any certain steel ones to avoid?

Not sure, haven't fired through them yet but I'll let you know. They weren't marked so I have no idea who the manufacturer is but they seem solid and load a full 30 rounds just fine, have a little window in the back to show when theyre topped off and a rib that runs down the back of the mag. If I had to guess I'd say they were Chinese... Cause everything is Chinese these days :rolleyes:

I'll post pics when I can

Erno86

You might want to try J&G Sales...though I'm not sure it will fit your 74. The 223 AK mags will not fit my Saiga AK-74; that I just bought from J&G.

The red dawn bakelites are nostalgic, but are reputed to not hold-up very well; and was reported that it glowed in the Afghan moonlight.

Last edited:

Tucker 1371

You can kinda see the rib in the back,, they lock in just fine, I'll post a range report when I get a chance to shoot them.
0A1F72A1-F976-4D78-83BB-08E69DB3CEA2-6916-0000082ABCDCD6AA.jpg

Edit- they have no stamps or any markings that would suggest their origin.

Venom1956

Mine is an arsenal SGL-31 in 5.45

Poly mags he says are new Bulgarian for thirty five.

unknown steel mags for 30. Which he believes are Romanian.

DE Shooter

I picked up an unmarked metal 30rnder at a local gunshow. The owner said it was for a Tantal. It fits my OEM Saiga and a Century M74 tight. Appears to be solid built. I have packed it full several times and fired single, fast semi and bump fire 5-7 round bursts; using Russian spam can ammo. No problems yet. Do Tantal mags have any markings?

Hairbag

Venom better jump Kvar has AK74 bulgarian mags 30rd for $40 in plum better plum than none!! They won't last long.

Venom1956

well I've found ONE circle 10 mag! Hooray!

Any updates on reasonably priced mags? like 30 perhaps? I wish I could get the cheaper used circle 10 mags.
Or some steel mags? I've read that tantal 88 mags differ then standard AK mags and they can't fit in a russian/bulgarian rifle?

Mrgunsngear

I've read that tantal 88 mags differ then standard AK mags and they can't fit in a russian/bulgarian rifle?

Well I used to have a few Russian and Bulgarian '74s before I sold them all ;) and Tantal mags worked without issue in all of them.