722 barrel swap

hivel37

Since my "gunsmithing" abilities are limited to barrel bedding and refinishing, I have a question regarding barrel swaps. The barrel has been "ringed" on my 722 222Rem. It's visible w/a good light, and you can feel it w/a tight patch. A friend gave me a new 26" factory barrel. Gunsmith who has done some work on my stuff seems reluctant to install this barrel, thinking headspace adjustment while keeping the sights where they should be is problematic. Due to my ignorance, input is needed. What do you think?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Sporter barrels usually can be set back one full turn and then reamed to get good headspace, and the only thing noticeable is a slight gap at the barrel channel where the barrel thins down.

(I say sporter barrels, because military barrels present other problems if the configuration is to be kept, such as interference of the rear sight on the M1903 or a shortened distance between the muzzle and the bayonet lug.)

Jim

Harry Bonar

Bbl Swap

Dear Sir:
Yes! It is the devils own work to set back and still have sights line up!
I finally gave up on a Remington due to this.
Divide the thread pitch into 1000 will give you the amount to take off to result in a perfect "one turn deal.
However, the steel "crush" will need to be figured in to the tune of .003 to .005! This complicates things to the place where you're very fortunate to get this done!
It CAN be done but you're ( first time on the forum i've used this term) lucky if you hit it right.
Harry B.