700 pound bear thread!

44 AMP

Staff
I'm sure you could....

But the only way you are likely to reach a vital spot on a 700lb bear with a .22LR is from the inside! Not my preferred option.:D

I have personally seen .30-30 bullets "bounce" (skid, actually) off the skull of a (much smaller) black bear. I have no doubt a .44 magnum could do the same thing. It has nothing to do with the power of the round, or the shape of the bullet, rather the denseness of the bone, and the precise angle of the impact. Either bullet will punch right through the same bone, but if the angle is right, it will "bounce off".

With a 700lb estimated weight, this bruin is freakin huge, for a black bear. It is likely that he will turn out to weigh considerably less, as bears look a lot bigger in your garage munching on frozen pizza than they do hanging on a scale. Still it appears this is a huge black bear, and while they don't have the repuation of the bigger bear species, they are powerful animals, with no inhibitions about property rights or anything else in the way of what they want.

Bears are very tough animals, and capable of surviving wounds that one would find hard to believe. If a round does not do lethal damage on impact, a tough bear might very well survive many gunshot wounds over several years.

One large grizzly (taken in 1901) was found to have survived many gunshots over the years, including (but not limited to) 2 bullets in its brain, and 2 vertabrae fused from rifle bullet. Incidently, it took 8 hits from a .30-40 Krag, with the bear finally stopping a couple dozen yards from the hunter. That is tough! Black bear, even really big ones don't have the rep for being that tough, but who knows, maybe this one is the exception to the rule!

Bet they sell a lot of Buffalo Bore ammo in that area now!

Smaug

This is my favorite part:

"I have a refrigerator in the garage. He opened it up, drank a gallon of orange juice, opened the freezer above and munched two frozen pizzas and snacked on frozen chicken," Philpott said. "He broke all the shelves and racks out of the refrigerator, bit into some fruit punch and squirted it all over everywhere, then dragged the trash can outside and took a crap the size of a basketball on the front lawn."

I almost wish he hadn't posted that. Now, we're going to have a rash of "What's the concealed carry best bear gun?" threads.

Teuthis

Many years ago I had an encounter in the San Bernardino mountains with a female black bear that was estimated to be in excess of 500 pounds. She was well known to Fish and Game people. She had one large cub and two small ones when I met up with them. She was known to have a larger mate, so those things can evidently grow quite large at times. I saw a heavy, wrought-iron gate that the large male smashed to get into a chicken coop. It was bent double.

In her hunched over threat posture in our encounter, the female was still taller than I was. Her yearling cub, who tried to eat me, was also larger than I was. I bought a .41 Magnum after that incident and always carried it in the woods.

The 700 pounder sounds like something to avoid. 12 gauge buckshot or slugs might stop him up close.

Stevie-Ray

Man, that's huge. My buddy's bear, taken in the Upper Peninsula here in Michigan, was 540 lbs, and I considered that huge.:eek:

44Magnum

Betcha I could take it with my .22lr....

Pfft! That's nothing! I sit up in a tree waiting for the bear. Once the bear walks underneath I hold my Katana in my teeth and jump on top of the bear. I firmly grasp some fur with one hand and hold on as it bucks about until I can thrust the sword into its back. Much more sporting to do it that way. :D

I've taken a half ton bear that way. Of course, I had to hook that one up to my powerwinch to get it in the truck. ;)

markj

I hold my Katana in my teeth and jump on top of the bear

I wait for two bears, then ride em roman style like Kirk Douglass used to ride, head them back to the camp before I kill em with the 2.5 in lock blade knife...... that is in my boot right now...

While in Yellowstone, I told my son the one runs fastest gets away, a guy there told my son to put peanut butter in my shoes, then I would be the one for dinner, still checkin them shoes.... he is 7 now.

1911rocks

Bears, nothing to em

I have zero bear problems, even where we live. My anti-bear dog ( 60lbs of rompin' stompin' Bassett Hound, hell Cesar Milan doesn't want a piece of him!!!) has kept this entire area Bear free for 7yrs!!! Check it out, Indianapolis has not had one bear incident in 7yrs. There's the proof!!!

1911rocks

He may look like he's sleeping, but that is a clever ruse. He's lulling his prey into a false sense of security. Then he'll spring on his prey like a cold bottle of honey. You don't want a piece of him!!!! As a matter of fact he's growling right now......could be snoring.

herroprease

living in alaska its fairly common to run into bears during the summer...it depends on who you talk to for a good bear gun. i personally have a 44 magnum with 300 grain bear rounds in it when i'm salmon fishing. at my house my 12 gauge is loaded with 00 buck shot and i have a few slugs near by just in case.

MTT TL

"Relocation doesn't work. They come right back no matter how far away you take them," Lackey said. "If they do stay where you put them, a bear that has been breaking into homes is going to continue to do it. How would you feel if we relocated a bear like this near your home?"

I would feel that my 12 GA shotgun loaded with seven 1 oz slugs is a much better problem solver than bear spray or moving it somewhere else. Where to relocate the remains is another problem.