70 grain of 777 enough??

old fart

i had a post on here about trading my optima's for the cabela's timber ridge, well i traded and set up my scope with what i thought was 80 grains 777 and a 295 grain powerbelt. today the friend i traded with wanted to go shoot to get used to his gun, and when i loaded and fired my groups was high about 4 inches and the best group was 4-5 inches. when i set the scope the other day i had 1and 1/2 inch groups. i shot a little more but my shots were no better than 4 inches, i was thinking the scope, then my friend asked was i sure about the grain i used the other day. so i decided to drop down to 70 if that didn't work go to 90, but i was sure that i used 80. well i used 70 when i loaded and fired bullseye then a second shot about 1 inch to right but still in center circle. i thought about trying for 90 to see how they group but decided that if i can hit at 100 yds then i'm good to go. but after i got home i got to thinking is 70 grains of 777 enough for deer out to 150yds?, i have never used that small amout of powder. and i'm wondering why my gun won't shoot 80 good?,and if 90 would be better or worse? so have any of you all shot just 70 grain of 777 and if so is that enough to kill a deer cleanly? thanks for any help.

FrontierGander

Plenty! Got to remember that T7 is 15% hotter than pyrodex or blackpowder so in truth, your 70gr T7 load is equal to about 85 grains of Pyrodex/2f blackpowder.

simonkenton

Yes it is enough powder.
Supposedly it is 15 per cent more powerful than black, so 70 gr of 777 equals 80 grains of black.
Even if it is no more powerful 70 grains is plenty for deer.

And yes you ought to try 90 grains. It may be accurate for you as well.
Some guns shoot differently with different loads.

old fart

ok i guess i'll stay with 70, just didn't think 10 grains would be that different except mabe a little higher. but my gun hates 80 grain of 777, now my optima loved 80 grains with the 295 grain, could it be because my timber ridge has a shorter barrel? thanks

FrontierGander

Yeah it could be that. Every gun though has its own sweet spot. Sometimes it takes a long time and a lot of $$$ and even more patience to find that sweet spot.

Next time try some 348's in the traditions. My Evolution loved them along with 80gr Pyrodex RS.

arcticap

Well maybe that 295 Powerbelt just isn't the best bullet for the Timber Ridge.

After all, if you're willing to switch guns then you should be willing to switch to a new favorite bullet too.
While 70 grains may not be too bad at a lesser distance, I'm not so sure that would be the best choice for shooting out to 150 yards with either. At least not without trying something else for comparison.
What distance were you shooting at?

old fart

I was shooting at 100 yds, i get great groups with 70 grains, but when i go to 80 my group size more than doubles. I get consistant about 4inch groups on average. With 70 grains they shrink to 1inch to 1 and 1/2 inch groups. I can keep my shots in the center circle which is 2inches at 100 yds with 70 grains, with 80 grains i stay on target but my groups are not good.

arcticap

The first thing is that a 295 grain Powerbelt is .50 caliber verses a similar .45 caliber saboted bullet with better ballistic performance & penetration. That "possibly" means less effective distance & knock down power once it travels past a certain yardage.
That's dependent on which alternative bullet that you choose and the amount of powder, velocity & accuracy too.
The .50 caliber Powerbelt bullet may simply be less efficient and lethel using less powder.
I can't say for sure at what distance it would make a difference.
And it may or may not matter for your hunt.
But you're the one that will decide whether to use it or not. :)

Last edited:

old fart

FRONTIERGANDER SAID: NOOOO!! Dont do 90gr T7, its to much for that bullet

I JUST SAW A CVA VIDEO WHERE ONEIL WILLIAMS, AND CHAD SHEREER SHOT 150 GRAIN OF POWDER WITH A 295GRAIN POWERBELT HOLLOW POINT AND HIT THE BULLSEYE. I'M GONNA HAVE TO STICK WITH 70 GRAINS AND THAT POWERBELT FOR THIS SEASON, ITS TO CLOSE TO OPENING DAY AND I CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY MORE BULLETS OR POWDER AT THIS TIME. BUT BEFORE NEXT SEASON I'LL EXSPERIMENT AND TRY TO COME UP WITH A LOAD FOR ABOUT 90 GRAINS OF 777, I JUST FEEL MORE BETTER LOADING THAT AMOUNT OF POWDER. MY SHOTS COULD BE AT 150YDS SO I NEED AT LEAST 90 GRAIN TO HIT ACCURATLY AT THAT DISTANCE AND FOR A CLEAN HUMANE KILL, I'LL KEEP MY SHOTS TO 100 OR LESS. EVEN THO I AM HITTING GOOD AT 100, I BELEIVE 70 GRAINS AT 150 WOULD HAVE A RAINBOW TRAJECTERY.