7 vs 8 rd 1911 magazines

Marquezj16

I'm new to 1911s. I was looking up spare mags for my SA 1911 Milspec and I noticed the different rd capacity. My factory mag is 7 rd and I was looking at some mags that has 8 rd cap. If I buy the 8 rd cap mags, will it stick out the bottom a little. I know it's probably a dumb question but I'd rather ask than make a dumb mistake. Thanks in advance.

scottl

Marquezj16 did you get a coupon from Springfield with it?If so you cannot hardly beat the pricing on it for magazines.
It looks like this.

Attachments

• coupon.jpg
    coupon.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 36

Marquezj16

Thanks Mike for the link.

Scott, thank you, thank you and thank you.

The coupon was behind the foam, so I did not see it. Looks like I will be ordering from SA. :)

scottl

Some of people knock the Springfield mags.But if you read the Springfield section on the 1911 forum a lot of people use them and have no trouble with them.

overkill0084

I've had good luck with Wilson 8 rounders. The SA 7 rd mags are very good in my experience.
The ones with the little rubber foot might stick out slightly. Without it, they should be flush.

Kreyzhorse

If I buy the 8 rd cap mags, will it stick out the bottom a little.

No. It should still be flush. I own a Springfield TRP and aren't a big fan of the factory mags although they seem to work fine.

I used mostly Chip McCormick Powermags and Shooting Stars and both of them are reliable and very well made.

44 AMP

Staff
The original design is a 7rnd magazine. This was all there was for around 60 some years (other than a few extra length mags). Then some bright folks redesigned the magazine follower, and found that they could get 8rnds in the same space.

Factories eventually picked this up, and so you can find both 7 and 8 round mags as factory standard, depending on the model and maker. There is also a short 6rnd made for the ultra compact guns like the Officer's Model.

Chris_B

One thing that original mags had is a dimple on teh face of the follower. This was on purpose to keep the bullet in contact with the follower all through the feeding cycle. I'm surprised modern mags seem to lack this feature

My original two-tone Colt mag works flawlessly in my 92 year old 1911 and in my 21st century made Auto-Ordnance

I have a Chip McCormick 8 rounder that works well though. That mag is in this Colt below

mk4s70a.jpg

RickB

I've never used 7-rounders in a gun with a full-length frame, and have never had any chronic issues with the 8-rounders I have used. That said, I now much prefer the current generation of 8-rounders with an extended tube with surrounding basepad, rather than the old style with standard-length tube (CMC Power Mag, Wilson 47D, etc.). I've been using the Check-Mate Industries mag for about a year, and think it's the best of the current crop.

KyJim

Those making flush fit 8 round mags all make compromises in spring or follower or both to pull it off. Mags are the weakest part of any pistol and I see no reason to introduce another potential weakness in a defensive gun. If it is a defensive gun, get one of the extended 8 rounders like the McCormick Power Mag (not shooting star), Tripp Cobras or Wilson extended. Otherwise, be content with 7+1 for a defensive gun.