7 shot 32 HR mag revolver from Charter Arms

Cosmodragoon

Wait a minute... This is a steel revolver and is only chambered for .32 H&R Magnum? Why not .327 Federal? This is puzzling...

reteach

Why not .327 Federal? This is puzzling...

A. Many, many people who own a .327 mag say they carry it loaded with .32 H&R.

B. Charter Arms will sell as many of these as they can, then issue the .327 mag and sell a bunch more, including lots of them to people who bought the .32 H&R version first.

Granted, those people who carry .32 H&R in their guns chambered for .327 mag are probably carrying Ruger LCR's and the light weight of the gun makes issues of recoil and controllability. That would include me.

OneFreeTexan

I think 32 H&R Magnum is a great caliber, I have several revolvers in it,, mostly Charter Arms, and because of the lighter recoil, I am very accurate with them

weblance

I spoke with Nick Ecker a couple years ago about bringing back 327 Federal in Charter revolvers, and he said they would NEVER offer 327 Federal revolvers again. Never say never, but that was his response

ThomasT

I like it. I would like it better if it came with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. I wouldn't want it in 327 for sure. If I bought a 327 I would get the Ruger single action with a 7.5" barrel to take advantage of the extra power.

But I am always glad to see more interest in anything 32 caliber. I have four 32 mags and three 32 long revolvers and one 32acp Walther PP. I don't have any 327 guns. Never saw the need for one. I rarely shoot full power 32 mags.

chaim

I'm with those who would prefer it in .327mag, but 3" barrel, 22oz and 7 rounds, I'll definitely have to consider it assuming it gets on the approved list for Maryland.

TruthTellers

Wait a minute... This is a steel revolver and is only chambered for .32 H&R Magnum? Why not .327 Federal? This is puzzling...
Main reason is because .32 H&R is sufficient for self defense. I hate to bring up a boutique ammo, but Buffalo Bore makes a "+P" .32 H&R load that is almost 1200 fps from a 3 inch barrel, which is around 315 ft/lbs of energy. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I'd also have to believe that in order to keep it a smallish 7 shot revolver, the pressures can't be at .327 levels, so it's likely a safety issue. Still, that cylinder looks extra thicc.

I haven't tried 85 grain .327 loads yet, but 100 grain JSP in my SP101 was a stout load. In .32 H&R, a 100 grain projectile would not be anywhere close to the recoil and noise as the .327 does.

The .327 is a great cartridge, I think it's best use is in a rifle, but you put it in a small to medium sized frame revolver and it starts to become a bit too much with the full power loads. In GP100 sized revolvers I'm sure it's fine, but you're talking about a revolver built around .357, so naturally it's going to be more controllable, but you're then moving down in caliber and not getting any extra capacity.

Not the case for .32 H&R revolvers. The one thing I won't like about this revolver tho is it uses .32 H&R brass and that brass is so thin I get bulges frequently when reloading it.

Cosmodragoon

I still have an old full-sized steel revolver in .32 H&R Magnum. It's kind of a fancy paperweight that could be used as a gun these days. As far as pressure and construction, the LCR is tiny and holds up just fine. Is it possible that Charter Arms is using a different kind of steel or that they're adapting some kind of existing design pattern that might not hold up with .327 in the long term?

Hum....

I find this to be VERY interesting...

I REALLY like handguns chambered in .32 caliber cartridges... Always have, always will...

And a 7 shot .32 Magnum? VERY interested...

Msauter

Glad to see this coming out ... I will be a customer for sure. I love .32 H&R Mag ... but have no use for .327 Fed Mag. I bet it will be a big seller.

I wish S&W would notice what the 16-4’s are selling for ... and bring them back!

ViperR

Looks like a remake of their "Patriot", but on the bigger Bull Dog frame, 3" barrel and in 32 H&R.
I have their Patriot in 327 Fed Mag, 2 1/4" barrel, six shot on the smaller Mag Pug frame. Slightly larger than a S&W J, but smaller than a K. Perfect revolver carry size !! And an extra round over the 5-shot 38/357's.
327's are hard on mine, so I reload (to maximum) 32 H&R's 100gr for range use and carry Black Hills 85gr. I wish the BH's were more stout, since the Patriot is chambered for 327. I'll have to look into those +p's in 32 H&R. Would like just a little more punch in between the 32 & 327. Maybe the +p's are the ticket.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600791&page=2
Almost forgot: Even though I said the 327's handle good in this link, they are hard on the revolver and I can only shoot a couple of cylinders at the range.
No wonder Charter wanted to chamber their new one in just 32 H&R.

Last edited:

ThomasT

Main reason is because .32 H&R is sufficient for self defense. I hate to bring up a boutique ammo, but Buffalo Bore makes a "+P" .32 H&R load that is almost 1200 fps from a 3 inch barrel, which is around 315 ft/lbs of energy. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I load 85gr 32 mag loads with an 85gr bullet that gets 1305fps from a 5.5" Ruger single six and 1250fps from a 4" SP-101. And those are book loads with Hodgdon L'il Gun powder.

Thats why I have no real interest in a 327. If that won't do the trick then a little more from a 327 won't help.