7 mm rem mag - 145 BTSP

castnblast

I was currious what powders any of you have used in the 139-145 gr bullets in 7mm mag. I used H4831 in the past with Hornady 139 BTSP's, I recently bought some 145 gr Speer BTSP's I was currious about your accuracy powder - which ones have you guys used and found good results.

Thanks -

I will work up my own load - I was thinking of using Hodgdon V100 Hybrid, H4350, or H4831sc because I have them - I have no issue buying other powder either.

Castnblast:

I don't have a 7mm Rem but I do have a .264, a 308 Norma, a 338 and a 375 H&H magnums. All four shoot tight groups with H 4350 or H 4831 with a medium to heavy bullet for the caliber.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited:

PawPaw

IMR 4831 is the only powder I use for 7mm Rem Mag. I've heard that Reloder 22 is good, but I haven't tried any of that yet. We shoot 140 Noslers out of ours and get great accuracy (half MOA) and good velocity. We've never seen any reason to change.

GeauxTide

My old 700 shot 145 Speers just fine; however, I was pushing them 3130. The results were explosive - ruined quarters, etc. Speer even started advising using Grand Slams for bullets above 3000fps in the 7. I used H-4831 and got 1.25" groups.

HiBC

IIRC,that bullet advertizes a pretty good BC and I looked close at it.I cannot recall my source.but there was something about not pushing those bullets real hard in the 7 mag.Something about the base not being up to higher pressures.It might have been a Handloader article.
That bullet might be excellent in a 7x57.

castnblast

THanks all - yes, the BC is incredible .502 I chose it for some long range shooting - 300+ on long south texas scendaros.

Poodleshooter

I use Reloader 22 with 139/140gr loads, but my accuracy loads are a bit weird, as I run them through an Abolt with a tuning device. So I load for approximately "book" velocity, then tune the barrel to match the load.

azar92

Nothing lighter than a 154g had run down my bore until recently. I've been working on finding an accuracy load for the 139g GMX in my 7mm RM.

I started with Ramshot Hunter and it showed promise but I never could nail down a consistently accurate load with that powder. Plus, the velocity extreme spead and S.D's were too high for my liking. That combo appears to be a no-go in my rifle.

I'm currently testing RL-22, IMR 7828 SSC, and H4831SC with the 139g GMX. RL-22 was good to me (it usually is) and IMR 7828 SSC is looking good but needs more testing. Accuracy seems promising with the H4831SC, but velocity is fairly low. Still more testing to be done here too.

ojibweindian

I've been using Winchester Supreme 780 in my various 7mm Rem Mag loads. Accuracy is roughly an inch at 100 yards, give or take a 1/4". I could probably get better groups, but I'm too lazy to separate cases, weigh individual bullets, make case necks perfectly concentric, etc. For the purposes of hunting and informal target shooting, I'm perfectly happy with 0.75" - 1.25" groups.

hooligan1

I've loaded 7mm rem mag with the 150 gr Nosler Partitions and found it to shoot about 1 inch, 5 shots at one hundred yds, which is fine with me but it really loves that Hornady Custom factory stuff in the 139 gr BTSP's less that 1/2 inch at same distance:cool: But I'm not finished searching for that magic weight of bullet and that special weight of perfect powder! Oh and by the way the powder for my 150 gr Partition loads are: Hornady brass, 61 grns IMR 4350, CCI Magnum rifle primers, I'm not sure the velocity but it's got to be 3000 fps or better, mild recoil and very accurate. :)