7.62x54R vs. 8mm

Q-Man

Which one is better?....

I don't know, but my buddy bought an 8 mm Yugo Mauser for $100, and a week later bought a Russian 7.62x54R for $70. These guns are so cheap, why debate which is better? Just buy guns in both chamberings. The surplus 8mm Turkish ammo is cheaper though.

saands

If the 7.62x54 is truely a 7.62, then the reloading supplies will be easier to find (spell that "cheaper"). That being said, I just bought an 8mm. I bought it for the reputation of the action.

bullfrog99

this is kind of like comparing oranges to tangerines

8mm mauser is slightly more powerful at close range, and it has a bigger bore diameter and bullet an 8mm is a .323 190 grain (typically, turk ammo is different)bullet vs. the russian with a .311 147 grain (typically) but the 7.62x54 is a more ballistically efficient round( boa tailed with high ballistic coeficient) and will pass the 8mm at ranges past about 200 yards. the difference in power is so small that it can be said it is insignificant. really it is less a comparison of ammunition and more a comparison of guns, do you like mausers or nagant's better. if you go with a nagant, buy a finnish m-39, even with the cheap (900 rounds for $80) ammo it can keep a pop can bouncing at 100 yards with open sights. as for looks the mauser wins hands down. either way if you buy a specimin in good condition you will forever be happy with your purchace. btw the turkish 8mm ammo is interesting looking when pulled, i'de say it's loaded with about a 140 grain bullet, as it is as short as possable once it goes past the neck of the case.

Fuzzy

The 7.62 x 54R is supposed to be pretty accurate. The Russians used it in their sniper rifles all the way up through WWII. I think it first went into service is the late 1800's.

-Fuzzy

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
7.62x54 is still the Russian sniper round. Accuracy in surplus ammo varies greatly. 8mm stripper clips are cheaper.

Gabe

The 7.62x54R was the round used by all the famous Russian and Finnish snipers. If you believe Russian accounting, over 20,000 sniper kills were accomplished with this round in WWII. This round started service in Czarist times and is still in front line service today. Kinda cool in this historical context.

Destructo6

My shoulder says they're about the same. That's comparing a Yugo M48 Mauser Vs a Polish M44.

They're both fun and cheap to shoot and surprisingly accurate, considering the dirt cheap ammo and the dark bore of the Mauser. The sights on the M44 are much better than that on the Mauser.

As said before, given the current prices on these rifles, you should buy both, even just for the history. They are intriguing

Bruegger

Info on 8mm

8mm surplus is found in at least three bullet weights. The Turk stuff is 154 grains or so, and sends that down range at about 3000 fps at the muzzle! Most of the German, and the Yugo and Ecuadorian is 198 grains or so. The FN-manufactured ammo is in the 160 to 170 grain range.

Commercial loadings are available in full strength from S&B using a 196 (?) gr bullet. The US-loaded commercial ammo is usually in the 170 gr range and are all weakly loaded compared to the milsurp.

If you reload and don't want to pay the premium for 8mm brass, you can make your own from cut-down .30-06 brass.

Sorry, can't help on the 7.62x54.

Check out Tuco's forums at http://www.mosin-nagant.net for tons more info.

Semper fi,

Bruegger out.