7.62x54R: Maximum effective range to punch paper?

Firepower!

Hi
I was wondering whats the maximum range for 54r in terms of punching paper targets? Do you guys know of any better platform than SVD? Whats the scope magnification that would reasonably compliment the power of this cartridge?

Thanks.

rangerman40

ballistically speaking, about 2 miles..... Punching paper, all depends on how good your scope is. There is a video on youtube of a guy shooting a mosin nagant 1000yds and hitting steel targets.

bigghoss

I remember a bunch of us were trying out an m44 offhand and walking rounds onto a barrel that was probably 400-500 yards out. it'd take us 3 or 4 rounds with someone spotting to figure the hold, reload, and be able to get most of the next 5 on the drum. and of course after 10 hand it off while someone reset your shoulder. would be easier with peep sights or a scope but the round is reaching a good ways.

N00b_Shooter

Not really about effective range but i was at the range the other day with a guy that shot a 7 shot group at 200 yards under an inch with a battered looking 91/30, theoretically and under the right conditions he could atleast shoot MOA to 1000 yards.

That was the only group i saw him shoot but he said that he never shoots over .75 MOA at 100 yrds. People underestimate the 54r because most of the time people are running crappy mil surp out of old warn out pitted barrels. They used these rifles and calibers for along time for a reason.

Just my opinion, feel free to flame me :)

Willie D

There's nothing about the round that would make it fare any worse than a 30-06 or 8mm Mauser.

The trouble is that 95% of the 54r ammo on this planet is low quality and there is a similar scarcity of new, accurate guns chambered for it.

49willys

I think I could hit a 55 gal drum every time at 1000 with my 91/30.Never tried this gun at 1000.shoots an inch at 100 though.