7.62x54R ammunition

BlueTrain

I have a Russian M38 carbine (Doesn't everyone here?) but I have yet to shoot the thing and probably won't that much anyway. However, I have read many comments both here and elsewhere about how much muzzle flash or blast there is with the M38 and M44 carbines, compared with the full grown rifle. Yet I have never perceived any such difference with other calibers, though my experiences is limited to only about a half-dozen or so military calibers. In particular, the Lee-Enfield No 5 rifle or Jungle Carbine (Would that be a Rain Forest Carbine now?) did not have a particularly bad muzzle blast or flash. Or was it because of the flash hider? That isn't to say it didn't kick but after shooting a trapdoor Springfield in an H&R reproduction, I didn't think it was so bad.

So, is it the ammunition?

In other words, does Russian service ammuntion produce this muzzle flash when other types of 7.62x54R ammunition does not? I know that Winchester produced some in their line of so-called metric calibers but I don't think I've actually seen any, not that I've look very hard. I would assume the US produced stuff to be kinder and gentler but maybe it isn't.

Then maybe I should get a long rifle. After all, I don't have one.

Swede

First off yes, get a long rifle. For the price you can't beat them

In a lot of the posts I see they are shooting at night to see the flash. It also makes a difference on the ammo but I can't remember what anyone said they were shooting.

I've noticed that shooting 7.62x54R through Dragunovs and PKM generates a larger than average muzzle signature; the ammo was Soviet in origin and the gas levels are very high. I think they take the required port pressures and add 50% for reliability's sake.

Perhaps a western copy might have a more gentle internal ballistic profile.

Cosmoline

The surplus Albanian seems esp. flashy out of carbines.

I've found it's a pretty easy matter to reduce the flash by handloading.

keebo52

Yes, it's the ammo....mostly

I have several Mosin Nagants and can tell you that not all ammo has the same muzzle blast as the milsurp stuff. In fact, my handloads and commercial loads have no more muzzle blast in my M38 and M44 than my No. 5 Enfield. The albanian stuff is really fun to shoot. I live in the country and have a 50 yard shooting range in my back yard. A few months ago after burning up some milsurp ammo in my M44, my neighbor asked what kind of gun I shoot that "shakes the ground" (he only lives a half a mile away). Enjoy your M38 and get some quieter commercial stuff if the noise and flash bother you.

phatspeed7x

I own both a M-44 carbine, and a M91/30 mosin. I shoot mostly brown bear 7.62-54R 203 SP ammo in mine because I can pick it up cheap at my local gun shop. These russian made commerical bullets have a great muzzle flash from the M-44, and are really accurate in the M91/30. I have yet to shoot some surplus ammo in my mosins. I also have a box of the 180 grain FMJ winchester rounds (which if you look on the box they are made in cech rep), and these bullets really shoot through some stuff. I shot clean through a 7in round pine tree at 50yds, and my buddy shot a grizzly last year with his M-44 in canada with the same ammo.

dad23honu

The Polish stuff I'm shooting is a lot of fun. The guys at the range get a big kick out of the muzzle-flash. It's quite spectacular. I want to shoot it at night sometime. :D

I have a Polish M44 and a Soviet M38. Wolf 7.62x54R will spit out a fireball about the size of a beach ball, as will anything else. Loudest firearms I have ever fired or seen fired. The concussion will midly kick up any small, light debris in a wide area in front of you (dust, bits of paper, etc). VERY fun, gets a lot of attention. Does kick hard, but is very managable especially with a recoil pad. www.shooterpads.com makes excellent slip-on ones that you can use on all your rifles, fits the Mosin (and everything else ive got) nice and snug, though its very easy on and off. Dont store your rifle with the pad on it, could be bad for the finish. Youll feel the recoil more as you lower your profile. When standing, the recoil is quite managable and you wont get a bruise even firing hundreds of rounds. Lean forward to rest your elbows and youll feel it more. Bench rest and youll feel it a lot more. Prone and youll feel it a lot. Your body can't sway with the recoil as much the lower you go, and you take it in the collarbone more. Regadless, its still a very fun rifle. Dont let it scare ya, unless its pointed at you. :cool:

Garand Guy

I've noticed that shooting 7.62x54R through Dragunovs and PKM generates a larger than average muzzle signature; the ammo was Soviet in origin and the gas levels are very high. I think they take the required port pressures and add 50% for reliability's sake.

We're talkin' 7.62x54R not 7.62x39 There is a difference!:eek:

Garand Guy

dude--dragunovs ARE in 54R caliber, is that what you were getting at? jumped the gun a little on the internet corrections?

My mistake. That's what happens when I start posting before I have me coffee.:eek:

Sun Tzu

Big muzzle flash even w/a flash hider

Brother,

My Russian M44 1945 is a beast! It makes a statement at the range for sure. I tricked mine out w/every available accessory and its pretty bitchin now. Actually, I spent more on my forward mounted pistol scope than I did for the entire rifle in Fla. I find that Wolf & American Arms Ammo makes a large muzzle blast... They probably all do.

Peace, S Tzu