7.62x54r .314" Groove Bullet selection

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Slugged my Mosin barrel, it's .300" / .314"
I have everything I need to begin hand loading the 7.62x54r (except the bullets), have Varget powder on hand.
.314 seems to be about the largest groove commonly found on the Mosin.

- What bullets would you suggest for accurate target shooting?
- Anyone using the Hornady #3120 150 gr. .312"?
- Is there a larger dia bullet that could be used for the .314" barrel groove?
- Should I start with a .311 and work up to a .312?
Being new to 7.62x54r loading I would appreciate any suggestions.

FrankenMauser

The Hornady 150 gr bullet works fairly well.
Hornady 174 gr RNs work better.

If you want to use bullets of full groove diameter, you'll need to get something custom made (Hawk Bullets, for example), buy semi-custom (like Woodleigh), or run cast bullets.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Stuff that thing with .312s and .313s, and you should be just fine.
Most Mosins even shoot .308" bullets quite well, because the bore diameter is so small (and the grooves so deep).

tangolima

0.312" jacketed should be fine.

Cast bullets is different story. It will need to be 0.315” to 0.316”. We, myself included, all want to have bullets fitted to the barrel's groove diameter. It is for a good reason. However sometimes the pursuit could lead to unintended, even risky, consequence. Beware of the leade diameter. Bigger bullet plus neck wall thickness could exceed the leade diameter. Forcing the round in could mean jamming the bullet there, and it could mean higher chamber pressure. The neck will need to be turned down a bit to compensate.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

T. O'Heir

"...it's .300"/.314"..." It's groove diameter is one or the other. Mind you, Mosins rarely have the groove diameter issue Lee-Enfields do. What'd you use to slug the bore?
A .312" bullet will be a tick too big for a .314" barrel. Fortunately, Montana Bullets makes a cast .314" bullet.
"...Papua scenar..." No Lapua Scenar made of the correct diameter. .308" is the wrong diameter.

tangolima

"...it's .300"/.314"..." It's groove diameter is one or the other. Mind you, Mosins rarely have the groove diameter issue Lee-Enfields do. What'd you use to slug the bore?
0.300” is the land diameter, and 0.314" is the groove diameter, I suppose.

A .312" bullet will be a tick too big for a .314" barrel. Fortunately, Montana Bullets makes a cast .314" bullet.
Too big or too small? 0.314" cast bullet is still a tick too small.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk