7.62x51 surplus ammo

Silvanus

I didn't have time to go to the gun shop this week, so I told my father to buy me some 7.62 ammo when he goes. I expected some Portuguese or South African surplus, but he bought the ammo you can see in the pictures. I'm just wondering what exactly it is. Like you can see, the box says "Made in the UK". And the on the cartridge is written ".308 Win. WM BULLETS 13". That surprised me since the shop owner said it was surplus military ammo (and I've never met a person who knows more about firearms, especially rifles and reloading, than him) and the price indicates the same thing.

So I thought I'd ask you guys and girls if you know more about his ammo? It looks like some pretty decent stuff. If I can make it to the range today, I will try it out in my FAL. It should work fine, as far as I know the brits 7.62 rifles were FALs too ;)

It came in this 100 round cardboard box. Unlike factory commercial ammo, the cartridges were just piled up in the box and not in some plastic forms to hold them in position.

wjkuleck

That's just a random box that has nothing to do with small arms ammunition. Gates makes industrial power transmission stuff. The box, and anything printed on it (including "Made in the UK") is meaningless & irrelevant. Whoever packed the ammo had some used boxes laying around.

An aside: One should not purchase bulk-packed ammo, as a rule. You should have the full original packaging so that you have the information concerning source, lot number, etc.

What's the headstamp?

Regards,

Walt

Silvanus

The headstamp is: BB1 R1M1 7.62
or perhaps: B81 R1M1 7.62

I'm not sure if it's a B or 8. I googled the "Gates" name, but found nothing related to firearms, so I supposed it was less known brand or something. I didn't know it had nothing to do with the ammo:D