7.62x39 bolt actions

tim

I've been seeing various 7.62x39mm bolt action rifles around. anyone out there own or shoot one of these guns? how accurate and what range is possible. any tech info would be gratly appreciated. thanks for all replies.

InterArms used to import a Mark-X Mini, bolt action classic, chambered in 7.62x39. I used to see them routinely at discount houses (WalMart & etc.) but not recently. Neighbor of mine had one that we took out for a few quick snaps at some cans. It was a functional little rifle, trigger action off the rack had creep and grated a bit. The fit and finish was adequate, but by no means superior. I had the impression it was a quick effort to get into a niche and garner some of the market which was being dominated by the ubiquitous SKS.

JIMBO

I have one.. a bolt 762x39.. I love the way it shoots. I've taken Deer, Black Bear, Wolf, and some small game with it...
The trigger will have to go, to much creep.
Get one while you can???

Sriracha

I'm bumping this ancient thread, because I want to know if there are any new rifles around. So far, I'm eyeing the CZ 527.

Unfortunately, manufacturers don't have much incentive to try to compete with the ubiquitous SKS and AK variants. But it would be nice to have a nice-looking, traditional, general purpose bolt rifle that could shoot cheap milsurp for practice.

-Sriracha

T.A.Sharps

I was looking into this a while ago, the CZ seems to be be best quality option for a bolt gun. I have no idea why Ruger put that crappy stock on theirs.

With the money I would spend on a CZ bolt, I would probably go with a new AR upper chambered for it. Not a bolt action, but they are quality rifles that I would have a lot of fun with.

I would love a Savage bolt action in 7.62x39mm.

k in AR

I also have a Ruger M77 that is very nice to shoot. It is SS, ultra light with that ugly plastic stock <L>, but great to carry & shoot. Mine prefers handloads but both Federal and Winchester factory ammo shoot 2 inches or less at one hundred.

jammin1237

i have a rossi single shot break barrel, shoots very tight groups for the caliber... simple, reliable gun for about 150 bucks...remington bolt action model 799 comes in 7.62x39, it is also an import...

chris in va

Once I got the bugs worked out, my CZ has been a great shooter and will be used for hunting duties if I ever get to go. But you can't argue with ~$200 for the single shot Rossi. Saw one at Gander Mountain, looks pretty nice.

TheManHimself

I'm really not sure why they're not more popular. Brass-cased US-made ammo, out of a 24" barreled bolt gun, is ballistically on par with the venerable .30-30, an excellent choice for whitetail-sized game, with the added benefit of being able to use spitzer bullets without fear of magazine detonation.

chris in va

A couple things. The bolt handle isn't bent down enough and makes contact with most scopes on the market unless you get the $50 proprietary CZ 'high' rings. Even then it barely clears.

Mine had feeding problems. The first four would feed, the last one would stick up in the mag like a mobile ICBM ready for launch. The follower in the mag doesn't stay vertical due to the design. I sent both factory mags back, got back two more and...same thing. Turns out the round was getting hung up on this poorly machined notch at the back of the mag, so I filed it down and it mostly works now. CZ didn't want to hear that and said basically it was my imagination.

Then there's the light primer strikes on Russian ammo. CZ sent me out a new firing pin spring which helped a bit, but I still get a few misfires here and there. I suspect it's partly due to the 'mini Mauser' design, as it doesn't have much firing pin travel to really hit that primer.

10-96

Dang.
Hate to hear about them troubles. That was kinda high on my list of wants and had high hopes as I haven't had the slightest hitch out of either of my .223 527's. I take part of that statement back- I did have to break out the masking tape and a file to relieve a spot on the bolt of my American to clear the bolt- but a little care, a file, a round stone, and cold blue made it look like it was born that-a-way.

Double Dang- I'm out of snuff AND coffee. What's goin on around here anyhow?

T.A.Sharps

Which one does Savage make in it? I didn't see anything for Savage in the caliber on their web sight or on gunbroker.com.

Last edited:

jammin1237

another option that i have read about but have no actual experience with is whats called a chamber adapter, supposedly will take any .308 nato caliber rifle and covert it to the 7.62x39 round...it seems like a good idea to be able to take a bolt style rifle that you are more familiar with and trust and use it for the 7.62x39

here is the web site
http://www.mcace.com/

anybody used one of these before?

cheers

BeCoole

another option that i have read about but have no actual experience with is whats called a chamber adapter, supposedly will take any .308 nato caliber rifle and covert it to the 7.62x39 round...it seems like a good idea to be able to take a bolt style rifle that you are more familiar with and trust and use it for the 7.62x39

here is the web site
http://www.mcace.com/

anybody used one of these before?

They used chamber adapters in Garands to fire .308 in them.
The results were not positive. Impaired accuracy, stuck adapters, adapters coming out when you didn't want them to.