7.62x39 AR ammo question...and build question..

brian923

Sorry if this has been beat to death, but I can't seem to find anything in the search.

I'm wanting to build an accurate 7.62x39 upper for use on my AR plateform. I am wanting to use the rifle for handloading for accuracy and hunting with maybe some heavy for caliber use as well, but also want to be able to use surplus once in a while to blast away from time to time. I am trying to find info on .308 caliber barrels for use with this cartridge. I want the .308 barrel so I can use the vast array of .308 bullets for handloading... But... Will I still be able to shoot surplus ammo witch is most likely going to be .311 caliber bullets. I'm also interested in trying hornadys new fodder they have out now.(Wich I believe is .311 caliber) Thanks for you time and info, Brian.

tkcomer

First off, finding a 7.62x39 barrel with a 308 bore will be a challenge. 2. they ain't cheap if ya find one. And 3, if ya get one you certainly won't want to take a chance damaging it with .311 bullets. I tried to go this route a few years ago when I wanted one. The only place that had a barrel in stock wanted over 400 bucks. Just for the barrel. Another place wanted around 300 bucks, but it would be several weeks before I could get it. So I ended up with a Model 1 upper. Since ya reload, there are a lot of choices in bullets in the .311 range. Its what I do.

taylorce1

Stick with the .311 bore you are not going to get a whole lot more options going to the .308. The 7.62x39 performs best with the bullet range you buy the ammunition in already, if you want a .308 bore rifle build it in a bolt action. Then you will not have to worry so much about the mag length and can try heavy long bullets single shot if you want.

With an AR you are going to want to feed it the cheapest ammo you can buy unless you have a progressive reloader. Trying to feed an AR on a single stage press is way too time consuming. I tried and wound up buying a lot of ammunition and finally sold the rifle when .223 skyrocketed.

snipecatcher

If you build a 300 Whisper, Fireball, 30/221, 300 Blackout, etc., you can load it to velocities that almost reach 7.62x39, it uses .308 bullets, and a .223 bolt face and .223 mags work. I would go with 300 Blackout, as it is a standard cartridge and will get more popular with time. Forget about the cheap surplus.