7.62x39 AR-15 pistol

Hdonly

I have been thinking about my Christmas present that I get myself every year. "What about an AR-15 pistol in 7.62x39?" I ask myself. "Well, why not?" I answered. Who makes a reasonably priced complete upper? I can only spend about $450 on myself this year. I already have an 80% lower that hasn't been worked yet.

Shadow9mm

gunbroker seems to have a few in the price range. I would caution you though, AR's in 7.62x39 are generally fickle things and it will most likely end up being a project gun you are always tinkering with. I would recommend 300 blackout, it performs similarly, and although the ammo is more expensive, you have a lot more options, interchangeable parts and subsonic options, in addition to reliability. in short its a cartridge designed to run in the AR, not an AR designed to run around a cartridge.

GE-Minigun

Palmetto State. Personally I would not use an 80% lower; I’d get a finished one. I have no idea of your skills, so take this with that said. I’ve seen my fair share of 80% lowers that would not run more than a magazine and these ranged from guys that KNOW what they are doing to the guy that has a Dremel. Also if you really want a 7.62x39 upper I’d also pick up the PSA KS-47…takes AK mags.
As to Shadow9mm’s remark…buddy of mine had a M16 with a Model 1 Sales 7.62x39 upper (10.5”) that ran like a top, used the Franken Mags and a couple 75rd drum mags…he abused the loving crap out of it.

Shadow9mm

It looks like PSA has both pistol and rifle lowers in stock, but they are in the $300 to $400 range. All the uppers seem to be out of stock.

Hdonly

I have a 7.62x39 rifle with C Products magazines. I have never had any problem firing many different brands of ammo through this. It is a BCA. I am thinking I may go with BCA on the pistol upper. I have a lathe and a milling machine so I feel confident about finishing an 80% lower. Most everyone seems to be out of stock. I guess everyone is running scared. Still looking around though.

Pistoler0

I have been thinking about my Christmas present that I get myself every year. "What about an AR-15 pistol in 7.62x39?" I ask myself. "Well, why not?" I answered. Who makes a reasonably priced complete upper? I can only spend about $450 on myself this year. I already have an 80% lower that hasn't been worked yet.
You and me ask Santa for the same things! : )

I have an AR rifle on order in 7.62x39, with 16" barrel. I went back and forth between ordering it in rifle vs pistol configuration.

At the end I went with rifle because of hunting regs in CO. I want the rifle mostly for pleasure shooting and I have a bolt action .308 that I use for hunting, but I want to be able to hunt with the AR if for some reason my .308 is unavailable.

Hunting regs in CO require 1000 ft-lbs at 100 yds, out of a rifle with at least a 16" barrel, and a 7.62x39 AR does reach the mark (although barely).

Had I bought it in pistol configuration, my State's requirements for pistol hunting specify no shoulder attachments of any kind, so that made it iffy. I'd also lose ft-lbs out of a shorter barrel, and although legal for pistol hunting in CO, it is not desirable.

Anyway to make the story short, for versatility I chose rifle instead of pistol configuration.

I also think pistol config might be a little more susceptible to regulations in the future.

Ah! my rifle on order is from Atheris Rifle, full rifles are around $600 and they offer an accuracy guarantee. I will report when I receive it. : )

Hdonly

I went ahead and ordered one from Bear Creek Arsenal. Wow- it was here in two days and free shipping.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 330-rt.png
    330-rt.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 233

Shadow9mm

is the flash hider a thread on in presume? Cant tell from the pic, and bear creeks website was no help either. looks like a fun time, if a little loud.

Hdonly

It is thread on. The pic I posted is their stock photo. The one I actually got has a different hider on it. Here is my actual upper.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_180918716.resized.jpg
    IMG_20201213_180918716.resized.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 226

Hdonly

All done. Maybe I will get a chance to fire it today.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20201214_192453190_BURST001.resized.jpg
    IMG_20201214_192453190_BURST001.resized.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 207

DMK

Nice. That looks like a fun little blaster. I've got an AK about that size.

Better double up on ear protection!