7.62x39 and Varget?

Anyone load 7.62x39 using Varget, or is it too slow-burning?

I like to load with powders that can be used across multiple calibers, but can't find any load data using Varget. Sure would be nice if it can be used with acceptable results...

What say the braintrust of TFL?

chris in va

Varget is too slow for x39. It's a strange caliber powder-wise, needs a faster powder despite the heavier pill. I like 4227 or 4198.

steve4102

It's slow and rather bulky. Hodgdon has data using BL-C(2), which is slower than Varget, but less bulky.

You would have to heavily compress the Varget to get it to perform. I like heavily compressed loads, but 120% is a bit much.

{Edit for board copyright policy reasons. See the board policy on posting copyrighted materials. Too big a volume and no attribution to QuickLOAD. Note that in a quirk of the law, the copyright does not apply to the data behind the numbers, but just to the presentation format. If you were to copy the QuickLOAD output into Excel and reformat it and use your own labels and so on, then it would be O.K. to post. The attribution should still be made.}

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate all the info fellas! I'm not a fan of compressed loads and even with 100% case fill looks like it's not even reaching 2,100fps.

Looks like I will be searching for another powder to add to my shelf.

Again, thanks for the very helpful info!

Precision Shooter,

The capacity of the case relative to bore diameter and the sectional density of the bullet determine how quickly the volume the powder is burning in expands as the bullet moves forward. When that ratio is small or the bullet has low sectional density (light weight for caliber), expansion is quick. Quick expansion requires you make gas quickly to keep up with that volume growth in order to reach the desired peak pressure. That means either using a fast powder or using so much of a slow powder that the amount of burning surface area is so great it still makes gas fast enough to do the job, even though each individual grain is not burning at a quick rate.

In general, it is best to avoid the case packing, large quantity of slow powder solution because it can result in momentary pressures that can ring a barrel. Stick with the burn rate-appropriate powders for ease of loading and peace of mind about your gun's condition.

From shootingsoftware.com With kind permission from Jim Ristow, is an example of a commercial round loaded with a powder too slow for the bullet weight. The jump late in the pressure curve is not an actual pressure, but a wave in the steel reflecting back from a radially bulging event a ways down the barrel from the chamber. This registers on a strain gauge which measures strain in the steel, but not on a copper crusher or piezo transducer, which register only gas pressure at the chamber. It is believed to be caused by rapid expansion dropping pressure, after which the powder burning speeds up (normal for a spherical powder that has burned through it highest deterrent concentration) with the resulting gas mass and yet-unburned powder mass accelerating to catch up with the base of the bullet, rear-ending it and resulting in a momentary compression zone at the bullet base that produces the bulging and eventual ringing effect. Either going to a faster powder or to a heavier bullet mitigates the effect.

RSIimageof55grWinball_zps0a0d7c84.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Uncle Nick! This place never ceases to amaze me with the amount of knowledge and valuable info provided by the members!

Excuse me while I take a couple hours to absorb the info. :)

tangolima

Didn't use varget but n135 which is slightly faster than varget. It didn't work well. Never able to make decent speed and I am too stingy to burn more powder than needed, so l went to imr4198 when I managed to find some.

I don't quite like imr4198 either as it sucks in metering. I will try something else when I burn through the last lb I still have.

-TL