7.62x25 availability

HistoryJunky

Hey all. Recently I decided to trade my AR for a few handguns, among them a Romanian Tokarev in 7.62 x 25. I have always wanted one and have no attachment at all to my AR. Anyways, what is the ammo availability like for 7.62 x 25? Is any surplus still available? If not, how hard are commercial loadings to find?

HawkeyeNRAlifer

The cheap stuff has all disappeared. But then, most calibers are hard to come by. I have some Chinese, Bulgarian and 8-9 70rd boxes of some from somewhere, don't remember now. All of it shoots better than I can hold in the CZ-52. Don't remember what I paid, but it was dirt cheap. I believe S&B still makes it and probably a few others, but it will cost an arm and most of a leg. Gone are the 1200 rounds for $99 days.

SpareMag

Prvi is kicking around. Locally, when I van find it, it is about $25 for a box of 50.

More options avail on the internet.

HistoryJunky

Well, at least it's still in production. Steep is a relative term if you compare it to the current prices for .223/5.56 from most places. I plan on just buying them for the brass cases to reload anyways if I go through with this deal.

Beretta686

I saw it at Academy here in Houston on Friday. I don't remember the cost, but there was quite a bit on the shelf. I think it was Prvi, but I didn't look that closely.

It's not something you'll find at Wal-Mart, but it's out there.

You may want to hit up gunbot and order it in bulk instead of buying it retail. You'll probably save quite a bit of $$$. At the moment it's about $21 a box.

HistoryJunky

Good to know, thank you. Around my area we don't have any big box sporting goods stores. The nearest is about 50 miles away, and that's Gander Mountain. No 7.62 x 25 there. I'll have to see if any of the gun shops around here have it and their prices too.

Clark

20 years ago Century Arms would send me Polish ammo 7.62x25mm in sealed cans for 7 cents per shot delivered.
It is not as good and hand loads using S&B new Boxer primed cases. But all the Polish at least fires.
Years went by and the ammo stayed at that price. It is now worth 8 times what I paid for it. 11% compounded annually.
I also bought shares of Microsoft stock 20 years ago. It is now worth 16 times what I paid for it. 15% compounded annually.
I wish I had bought Apple stock, it is 100 times what I did not pay for it. 26% compounded annually.

What does it all mean?
Hoarding is not investing.

Snowdog

Wolf Gold (PPU), Prvi Partizan (also PPU) and Sellier&Bellot offer modern, non-corrosive stuff for about what you'd pay for .45acp from the same make.

You certainly don't have to worry about not being able to feed it, especially if you're not opposed to purchasing on-line. However, as the others have said, don't expect to feed it "cheaply" as it once could be.

That said, the Tokarev is a bunch a fun at the range. I'm fairly sure you'll enjoy yours.

barnbwt

Is any surplus still available?
God, why would you want it? It's nowhere near cheap enough to justify the corrosive primers, nasty smell, split necks, worthless brittle brass, useless FMJ roundnose bullets, and occasional hang/misfire (I only had one hangfire, about .1sec after ignition, but it has me on my toes whenever there's a misfire now). I bought a 800rnd can of Bulgarian, and while I appreciate its cheapness, I sure won't be hunting for more after mine's gone now that prices have gone up ~1.5 times what I paid. I'm not sure it was even worth it at the time, either :eek:

While more expensive than garbage, the factory new ammo is very good quality, though I don't know offhand if the Wolf stuff is Boxer primed and reloadable. I personally think it's far too cool a round to ever truly die off, and there will always be a niche for it where hand-grip magazines aren't a design driver. The stuff can even be made from cut down 223 (in a pinch) with a bit of work, so it's not like factories in the US will be unable to tool up for occasional runs.

Clark, what kind of accuracy are you getting from your hand loads? I am curious what kind of +100yd potential the round has from a quality carbine length barrel (~10" or a little more)

"What does it all mean?
Hoarding is not investing."
I'm glad someone around here has a head on their shoulders. Too many folks think they're gonna strike it rich by buying in bulk (which is essentially all hoarding is). Drives prices up, but not for any corresponding increase in value. That said, Swiss GP11 is a legitimately good deal these days :D

TCB

jag2

If you are going to reload Starline makes it but I don't know if they have any right now. There are some 85 grn bullets, I think from Sierra, and I also use the 110 grn I use for my M-1 carbine. Both are .308. That being said, its not the easiest round to reload. The neck is very short and you have to make sure you get enough tension to hold the bullet.

leadcounsel

Years went by and the ammo stayed at that price. It is now worth 8 times what I paid for it. 11% compounded annually.
I also bought shares of Microsoft stock 20 years ago. It is now worth 16 times what I paid for it. 15% compounded annually.
I wish I had bought Apple stock, it is 100 times what I did not pay for it. 26% compounded annually.

What does it all mean?
Hoarding is not investing.

This argument drives me insane.

For every successful company and investment, there are hundreds that were mediocre or even went bankrupt and were a total loss....

I'd rather have something tangible, than something that was a poor investment and ended up being a total loss...

Keeping this on track, I lucked out and hoarded a lot of this ammo at cheap prices. You have to look, but it crops up from time to time. I just bought some for 17 cents/round this weekend. Still cheaper than most centerfire handgun ammo.

Clark

barnbwt
Clark, what kind of accuracy are you getting from your hand loads? I am curious what kind of +100yd potential the round has from a quality carbine length barrel (~10" or a little more)

If I would stop buying so many guns, posting on the internet, and taking so many naps..... I might take some interesting data for you.

But this is all I have, a few minutes during one trip to the range, sorry.

TokarevDSCF0002small-1.jpg

Range report 9-22-2004
...The chrono was not working today.
Maybe because of the strange overhangs there and the sunshine.

...I have a 2x7x32 Leupold Vari-II rifle scope on it.
I was using S&B 7.62x25mm factory ammo.
The chamber is reamed with a 30 Mauser reamer, but the differences are minute, and have to do with a shoulder angle on a shoulder that is barely visible.
I used no recoil spring.
I fed single shot without a magazine.

At 50 yards I shot two 5 shot groups; 2.1" and 2.5"
At 100 yards I shot one 5 shot group: 4.2"