7.62x25 1911?

aarondhgraham

Not any stranger than,,,

My idea of a Beretta 84 or Walther PPK clone,,,
Chambered for that zippy little cartridge,,,
Using Ballistic tip hollow point rounds.

Today is the first time I actually did any reading on it,,,
But a handgun cartridge coming out around 13-1500 feet per second,,,
Yeah I find that a bit intriguing no matter what handgun platform you put it in.

So as I often say,,,
Why not?

zombieslayer

The limiting factor is the cartridge length. Its longer than even 10mm. But that would be a sweet gun if someone built it. I'm happy with my CZ52's for now, though. It is sad, imo, that more pistols haven't been made for this round.

Amin Parker

The original pistol, although charming is not exactly the best carry gun in the world.

A Beretta 84 or pp is not a bad idea. That cartridge deserves a great pistol chambered for it

2damnold4this

I think the 7.62x25 might be a little much for a blow back pistol. You probably need a locked breach pistol to avoid having a really heavy slide and/or recoil spring.

aarondhgraham

Hello 2damnold4this:

Okay, if you are gonna get all practical and technical,,, ;)
You are correct in your observation,,,
I was fantasizing.

This is actually an offshoot of that other "what is your dream pistol" thread.

I have always been into small caliber/high velocity rifles,,,
I would be intrigued by the same in handguns,,,
Semi-automatic pistols in particular.

I would never buy one but a friend has a Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR,,,
I would buy a semi-auto pistol chambered for that,,,
Not because it would be a great SD pistol,,,
It would just be a gas to shoot.

James K

Member In Memoriam
There have been M1911A1 pistols modified (by the Viet Cong) to fire the 7.62x25 and they worked OK. The main problems were altering the grip and making a new magazine.

The truth is that with most gun makers selling everything as fast as they can make it, there is little point in spending large chunks of development money to make a new gun for an obsolete cartridge that is currently popular only because of the milsurp guns dumped on the market. History just doesn't bear out the idea that the 7.62x25 is here to stay, that it has any real advantage over other rounds, or that it will remain popular. There is a long list of cartridges whose popularity waned when the milsurps for which they were made dried up.

Jim

Historyedguru

There was a time when the Soviets/Russians considered returning to the 7.62 Tokarev for its increased penetration against the body armor worn by Russian criminals. They developed a High Impulse Makarov round as a stopgap then decided finally to come in line with the rest of Europe by adopting a new high capacity 9 mm, the Yaryagin. So even they have turned definitively away from the Tok round.
One cartridge developed here in the U.S. that may be interesting to people interested in this cartridge is the .223 Timbs, a 7.62 x 25 mm case loaded to very high velocities with a .30 caliber sabot and a .223 bullet. It is recommended for use one in the roller-locked CZ-52.

Jim Watson

I think chris is right, and you could carry it even farther with a 9x23 and light bullets. But that would not let you have a current model gun to shoot Commie surplus ammunition. Which is why you don't see anybody going to the trouble to bring one out, as Jim K says. When the cheap surplus was shot up, sales of a new made gun would stop dead.

Long thread on the AR board about converting a 1911 to shoot 7.62x25.
Good news:
Relining and chambering the barrel is straightforward gunsmithing work.
A 9mm or .38 Super slide has the right breechface and extractor.
The gun will function with standard recoil spring.

Bad news;
The greater OAL of the 7.62 means that a standard .38 Super magazine will only hold 4 or 5 rounds. It can be squeezed to elongate it as much as will go in the mag well and hold a few more, but probably not full capacity.
Hard SMG primers will give misfires.

Solutions:
Deep seat the bullets and recrimp. A cheap Lee die set's seater and their collet type factory crimp die will handle that. Just hope it does not boost the pressure like it would in a straight wall case.
Fit a full power GI mainspring or even heavier instead of the reduced mainspring commonly used to simplify a trigger job.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Conversion just is not practical. It can certainly be done. If the VC could do it in an underground shop, certainly a well-equipped American gunsmith should be able to do it. The problem is that to those VC craftsmen (and they were good!) cost was not an issue. Having the work done here would cost a lot of money and you would end up with a novelty.

There are absurd myths that the 7.62x25 is some kind of super cartridge that will shoot through tanks, concrete walls, and mountains, and that one shot within 20 feet of a human being will cause instant death from shock, etc. It is a moderate power pistol load, with high velocity gained the old fashioned way, by using a light bullet.

Shoot it in those old Tokes and 52's and have a ball. But don't hold your breath waiting for Kimber, or Baer, or S&W, or Colt, to see the light and make guns in that caliber.

Jim

raftman

There was a time when the Soviets/Russians considered returning to the 7.62 Tokarev for its increased penetration against the body armor worn by Russian criminals. They developed a High Impulse Makarov round as a stopgap then decided finally to come in line with the rest of Europe by adopting a new high capacity 9 mm, the Yaryagin. So even they have turned definitively away from the Tok round.
One cartridge developed here in the U.S. that may be interesting to people interested in this cartridge is the .223 Timbs, a 7.62 x 25 mm case loaded to very high velocities with a .30 caliber sabot and a .223 bullet. It is recommended for use one in the roller-locked CZ-52.

I think the Russians more than considered returning to the 7.62x25 round, they actually developed a modern gun around it. There's a version of their Bizon submachinegun chambered for 7.62 Tokarev, then again they also made 9x18 and 9x19 versions of the same gun.