7.62x 54r mosin

stuffaknuckle

Was thinking about buying a mosin nagant for a hunting rifle. Ive never been hunting and dont want to spend a ton of money on a hunting rifle if I dont like hunting. Would be using it for deer hunting. What do you guys think? Is it accurate enough?

ksstargazer

Any mosin would make a fine deer rifle. I have used a number of them for hunting. My favorite for hunting is the Finnish M39. Nice sights and generally a 1.5 MOA rifle.
The Soviet mosins generally are 3-4 MOA whether a carbine or longer M91/30 or M91. That is plenty accurate for deer hunting.

schnarrgj

I have used both the M44 and the 91-30. Needless to say, I feel they are fine. The round is in the 30-06 class so it is more than adequate. Be sure to try a number of different kind of ammo in that your rifle may like one much more than the other.

the rifleer

There are people who hunt with mosins. they are good guns that are utterly reliable and can be pretty accurate. I could take my m44 hunting and not have a problem with it and be confident i could make an accurate shot out to about 300 yards.

IZZY

no less accurate than most 30-30 levers. Shot a 39' dated one that was about 2" at 100yards, and a 27 that is closer to 4-5" ( not so great) but due to different makers and years, tool wear /changes etc. some like heavy ball, some like light...and that can make that 2" of difference.

HDTVSELLER

i take my m44 out all the time and i love it.:D plenty of power and a heavy stock makes the rifle a nice firing machine.

stuffaknuckle

I have a buddy that is trying to sell his mosin so thats why I asked about hunting with it. His is a 91/30 model made in 1942. Comes with about a 100 rounds of surplus ammo. I was thinking, maybe a monte carlo stock and a scope for it. If I do like hunting then I would buy a better hunting rifle later on.

I have shot the mosin and they do have alot of kick to them which is what I expected for a big round. I have no doubt that it would take down a dear easily. My main concern is the accuracy part, and is seems like anything past 100-150 yard is not so good?

Jimro

Carry it with the bolt up, it blocks the striker the same as the safety.

ATI makes a cheep monte carlo stock that is ok.

Get a BSquare scout mount and a Burris or Leupold LER scope.

If you want a bent bolt look for a bolt by Boltman, or check out Steve Wagner's page on how to do it yourself.

Jimro

schnarrgj

My main concern is the accuracy part, and is seems like anything past 100-150 yard is not so good?

Each rifle is different. I have a couple of M44s and 91-30s that will go out to a couple of hundred yards easily. Others that 100 yards would be stretching it. Try different ammo to see which it likes the best. I reload most of my hunting ammo.

fletchbutt152

Great First Hunting Rifle

I say this because once you buy one gun, you will buy more.

Great round, good for moose if you really want. But make sure you when you hunt deer or big game you don't use fully jacketed surplus stuff. It is illegal in most states.

You can buy soft point ammo at reasonable prices for hunting.

Good luck!