7.62 x 39 in a spam can

horatioo

Where can I buy 7.62 x 39 ammo in a sealed can for a good price? Can I get pretty much any ammo I want in a sealed can? Is a regular army ammo box just as good a way to store ammo for a few years as a sealed can?

Thanks

Skans

Watch out for some of the sealed cans of 7.62x39. The older stuff is corrosive ammo, meant to only be shot in chrome lined barrels. Don't buy it if you have an American made AK with an American made non-chrome lined barrel. The corrosive stuff has a long shelf life - it's dirty ammo, but if you have the right gun and you clean it after use, there's nothing wrong with it.

horatioo

aimsurplus does not have 7.62x39 in spam cans. They do not even have the brown bear they have on their website. That is where I got my last ammo from.

Can someone tell me why one would choose the hollow point over the fmj? Or more why would someone choose the fmj over the hollow point? A basic answer helps me as I am kind of ignorant on this.

Thanks

blume357

The only reason for buying bulk in 'spam' can is if you are never going to shoot it.

Once you open the can you need to store the ammo in something else... like a standard ammo box that seals well.....

I've thought of buying in the spam can but this was the stumbling block I had.

Now if you are going to be buying just to store away for a 'rainy day' and leave the can untouched, I really don't see the ammo being possibly corrosive or not that big an issue. When you need to bust it open to use 500 or a 1000 rounds, I bet the last thing you are going to be worrying about is how you will need to be cleaning your rifle extra good after shooting it.

jborushko

personally i wouldn't worry too much about corrosive ammo... just CLEAN your weapon after use!!!!! corrosive ammo was/is/ and will be shot years with proper maintenance you have nothing to worry about.

but yeah website all over the place...
ammobank.com
buyammo.com
yada yada yada