7.62 x 39 data

USMC 77-81

Hopefully a forum member can steer me toward a good site for data, my manual and the Hornady site only list a couple of powders, 4198 and H4895. I would like to have some data for Varget, 4064, 735 and IMR 4895 which is what I currently have on hand.
I use a Mini 30 for thick forest/bush when out for deer and general critter shooting and believe the cartridge is well suited for such. I have searched the web and there doesn't seem to be much established data.

1st Marine division, 3rd Marines

T. O'Heir

Hodgdon's site doesn't give IMR4895 data either. Likely just because they didn't test with it. Odd considering how close the 'H' is to the 'IMR'. Possibly the same reason there's no Varget or IMR4064 data either. There's no Accurate 4064 data on their site either. Suggests unsuitability.
There's one IMR4895 load on Reloader's Nest but it's for a 205 grain FMJBT they guy says came out of a 7.62 x 54R.
There is 122 to 125 grain data listed here under .310" bullets.
http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm
"...work up a load using the H4895 data...." No you can't. Close but not the same thing.

chimo

"...work up a load using the H4895 data...." No you can't. Close but not the same thing.

Incorrect. You do understand what "work up" means, right? I have some IMR4895 on hand, perhaps I'll give er a whirl and let ya'll now how it works out.
Half the fun of reloading is experimenting.

USMC 77-81

Good start guys, others are probably at work presently, I'll check this later and possibly bump once over the weekend if further response is low.

1st Marine division, 3rd Marines

chimo

The stevespages site that Mr. O'Heir cited has a load for IMR4985 using between 27 and 29 grains with a CCI 200 primer.

That site and the Hodgdon site also have data for H4895 between 28 and 29 grains with a CCI 200 primer.

USMC 77-81

Thank you very much Chimo, I'llcheck the stevespages site and I mentioned the Hornady site earlier but actually meant the Hodgdon site. Anyway, I think the cartridge has a lot of potential used with in it's limits which I consider to be around 150 yards for deer, that is also what my 57 year old eyes are comfortable with using iron sights.
Ah, the good old days, when I use to qualify expert with iron sights at 2,3 & 500 meters.

Road_Clam

I've had some great luck loading for precision with heavier 165 gr Spitzer bullets using Benchmark.

My best load was :

165gr .30 cal Spitzer , Benchmark , 22.2 gr 1.66 MOA at 100 yds with my Opap

If you want to try the heavies make sure you use a flat base bullet. I tried 155 gr match bullets and I was getting powder compression lockup up around 22 gr of powder and not being able to get the bullets seated to mag length.

Clark

I worked up with 180 gr bullets and H110 in an SKS.

Last time I do that.

I got a new firing pin and the rifle works again.

45,000 psi SAAMI registration. In a strong bolt gun I would work up higher again. Not in an SKS.

chris in va

I load the Lee 155gr GC bullet for my CZ Carbine and basically the case gets filled to the bullet base with either 4895. It nets about 1600fps, but one thing you'll want to consider is whether or not certain powders will cycle a semiauto.

Mobuck

AA1680 works pretty well with 123-125 bullets. This is what I use.
X-terminator or AA2230 is about as slow as I'd want to go with these bullets. Otherwise you run out of room before hitting a good working pressure and velocity.
BTW these recommendations are straight from Ramshot/Accurate powder.

USMC 77-81

The point made by Chris regarding cycling an auto loader is valid. During my load development using 4198, milder loads in the 19.(?) range would short stroke. I suspect this to be due to changing the gas port bushing from factory size down to .040, as members familiar with the Mini 14/30 know, they fling cases somewhere between 20 feet and the moon.

USMC 77-81

I'm going to bump this to the top one time, hopefully to get a few more ideas and possibly for the benefit of other members, then I'll let it die.

res45

I would like to have some data for Varget, 4064, 735 and IMR 4895 which is what I currently have on hand.

The main reason you can't find any data or very little data using those powders is because there burn rates are simply not suitable for the smaller cartridge case of the X 39 to generate the desired pressure an velocity the cartridge is capable of.

Of the powders you have listed using 123 gr. FMJ or SP bullets in .310" to .311" inch dia. IMR-4895 is your best bet. The Speer #12 manual using there 123 to 125 gr. .311" bullets list a starting load of 27.0 grs. MV 2088 fps. and a Max. load of 29.0 grs. compressed MV 2198 fps.

These loads were fired in a Ruger M77 bolt gun so expect MV to be around 100 fps. or slightly lower than whats listed in a semi auto. I load this cartridges with many bullet types in jacketed and cast in a variety of weights in my SKS rifles. My best powder for cast is Alliant 2400 while with jacketed bullets Reloader #7 works best for me with IMR 4198 as a backup powder. Reloader #7 is also excellent for cast loads as well and will often time give the best reliable functioning in semi auto like the Mini 30 over the faster 2400 powder.

thump_rrr

The point made by Chris regarding cycling an auto loader is valid. During my load development using 4198, milder loads in the 19.(?) range would short stroke. I suspect this to be due to changing the gas port bushing from factory size down to .040, as members familiar with the Mini 14/30 know, they fling cases somewhere between 20 feet and the moon.
Im using a .310 Hornady 123gr spire point over 24gr of IMR4198 in PMC brass using CCI#34 Military Primers.
I'm using it in a Russian SKS. It cycles very well yet not overly agressive.
My brass extracts cleanly with no dents.
The 8th edition Hornady manual shows 24,6gr as a maximum load with a velocity of 2200ft/sec.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I've been looking at data for two powders AA1680 and AA2015 for a Hornady 123gr SST

My Hornady book has this listed for 1680:
start 20.1 max 23.9 velocity 2200fps

The sheet I downloaded off of Accurate's website has this data for 1680:
start 24.6 max 27.3 velocity 2,445fps

You can see my problem. The max in one book is less than the start in another!

This is a similar case for 2015.

Hornady has:
start 21.5 max 28.5 velocity 2400fps

Accurate has:
start 23.1 max 25.6 velocity 2,030fps

I know different books have different data but this seems to be an extreme spread. What do you guys load with?

300Whspr

I used to load a lot of 7.62x39 back when I was competing in IHMSA... so it was all in 15" barrel handguns... but...

In my experience, you might get 4895 to work... but I doubt it... it is just too slow of a powder for the x39. You need something in the burn rate range from IMR4227 (fast side, possibly a bit too fast except for light ~110 grain bullets) to IMR3031 (about as slow as I'd recommend to go). AA1680 is tailor made for the 7.62x39 and 125gr bullets. I burned a LOT of AA2200 Data Powder under cast 150gr bullets in the x39. Now that Accurate has 2200 as a regular powder in their lineup (I'm assuming it is the same as the old Data Powder) it would be a good candidate for 150 grain bullets.

I'd recommend going out and getting the proper powder for your application, it will be more enjoyable than trying to make an unsuitable powder work.