7.62 x 39 choice

Which rifle?

• Rom. SAR 1 AK-47

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Ruger Mini-30

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

JKump

I currently own a Rummy SAR 1 AK 47 rifle. I have a chance to trade it for a Ruger mini-30. (I also have a Colt AR for work.) I would be carrying this rifle for just fun shooting or as a back up deer rifle for short to mid ranges. Should I try to amke the trade?

armedtotheteeth

the mini 14 is a very reliable gun, being built on the M1 action. But It aint very accurate. Check to see if the bolt will stay open with the lock open lever. If it wont, it is a pretty good tell tale of the rest of the condition of the rifle. I just dont like Aks so anything Else I say is opinion. Other than, as innaccurate as the Mini 14 is, it is bettern the AK. Load up some hunting 223s with somethingl like Vmaxs or Blitzkings and you got a killer, if you hit your aimpoint.

Nanuk

The AK is fine, is there something wrong with yours? If you want a good trigger install a Tapco G-2 trigger set, you will have an awesome trigger. The AK is just as accurate as the Ruger and more robust. AKs go bang every time.

Crosshair

My friends Mini-30 doesn't seem to like the primers in Golden Tiger, he gets allot of misfires. Don't know if it is because of his gun or the design

V4Vendetta

KEEP THE AK!!!

With the 08 election results looking so great:rolleyes:, I'd advise you to hold on to that AK clone. In a few years it might be worth what a full-auto version is now.

JKump

Mine has the Tapco G 2 trigger. It also has black ploy furniture from K-Var. Changed out front post (Tapco colored) and rear sight is changed for windage and elevation (also from Tapco).
I was just think for a hunting rifle that I might throw in the back of the truck.

USMCG_HMX1

Keep the AK.

Mags are cheap, I picked up several of the German surplus for my Norinco SKS and they work beautifully. I second the Tapco trigger kit (wish I could use it but I'm happy with what I've got). And you can always put a rail on it from Ultimak.

Besides, the AK has a heavier barrel and I don't like running the 7.62x39 through a thin barrel.

Kris

Nanuk

I actually used my AK today for deer hunting, pushing heavy brush loaded with 124 Hornady AMAX bullets.