I am getting some conflicting data on:

Two case trim lengths

2.180 Trim
2.175 Trim

Case OAL
2.950 Inches
2.800 Inches

Which is recommended in your data????

Terminology seems to be causing confusion. There is case length (head to mouth) and there Cartridge (not case) Overall Length (COL, often abbreviated COAL or OAL, even though the word "overall" has been a compound word since Chaucer's time, and thus needs only the "O" for its initial).

My drawings show the 7.5x55 case has a 55.6 mm maximum length. That is 2.189" maximum length. Standard practice at SAAMI is to give a tolerance of +0.00 and -0.020" for case length. Most trimmers are set to go right into the middle of that range to avoid going over those limits, so most will be set to 2.179" average trim length, but anything from 2.169" to 2.189" long is considered to be within loading specifications.

The COL I have for this cartridge to ensure magazine compatibility is 77.7 mm or 3.059".

I got my dimensions from QuickLOAD, then checked the in the Hornady manual, and it agrees with the above numbers.

Keep in mind the maximum COL is just for bullets that reach it. I note that Hornady uses a 2.820" COL with their 150 grain FMJ boattail because that is the length you will get when its cannelure is level with the case mouth for crimping. The shorter length doesn't hurt anything. The manual shows 36.3 to 44.6 grains of H4895. That translates to 35.8 to 44.0 grains of IMR4895 based on QuickLOAD's powder database. Your load is in the middle, but higher than the starting load. I don't know how the PP (or sometimes PPU) case volume compares the the volume of the Norma case used in Hornady's testing, so my sense of caution says go to that lower starting load and work up, watching for pressure signs.

Last edited:

Slamfire

For my K31 I used a cartridge OAL of 2.850 with 168’s. Old manuals that used M1911’s had OAL’s that would stick a bullet in the throat of a K31.

After seeing Uncle Nick’s data, I would just trim to 2.180. Numbers that end in zero are easier to remember. The only importance for trim length is to keep the case mouth from being pinched in the throat.

K31 7.5 X 55 Swiss

168 gr Nosler Match 51.0 gr AA4350 INDEP brass and primer OAL 2.850
22 Dec 01 T = 58 ° F
Ave Vel = 2536
Std Dev = 17
ES = 45
Low = 2510
High = 2555
N= 9

Agree that a number ending in zero is easy to remember, but still advise writing data down. As the years go by, I find my memory is simply a less useful reference library.

That said, I really wanted to convey that when you don't have a trim length stated, but do have the SAAMI maximum, as all the manual illustration seem to give, you simply subtract a hundredth of an inch, 0.01", and you have the standard length the manufacturers will aim at trimming to (and which they often do with rather less precision than a handloader).

TRguy

Uncle and Slam thanks for your assistance. This is still a new cartridge for me and working on new loads always makes me double check especially as I seem to have gotten wide variations in data.

I will back off and start my at the lower end of powder loads and work up.

I don't have any Norma Brass to compare to the Privi I have. I think I should spend some of my Cabelas bucks and have some shipped in.

Thanks again.