7-08 and 156 Norma Oryx bullet load

Wendyj

This is excellent ammo in my Tikka T3x.
I can’t find any loading data for with exception of Norma’s online load data. I want to pick up a few hundred but I would need to use imr4350 or RL17 or 15. Very few Norma powders available and none they call for.

Paul B.

You might try using data for 160 gr. bullet. They're only four grains heavier. My Nosler #8 shows:
RL15 start: 35.0 gr./2402 FPS Max: 39.0/ 2593 FPS

IMR 4350 Start: 40.0 gr/2450 FPS Max: 44.0 gr./2650 FPS

Nothing for RL17

Speer #9 shows:
RL 15 Start:34.0gr./2343 FPS Max:38.0 gr/2506 FOS

IMR 4350 Start: 41.0 gr./2463 FPS Max:45.0C gr./2666 FPS

RL17 Start: 40.gr./2400 FPS Max:44.4C/2682 FPS

Just start at the bottom and work up. Shouldn't be any problem. Anyway, that's what I'd do.
Paul B.

Wendyj

Thanks. I was going to use data from the 160 accubond I’d used before but this being a flat based bullet I wasn’t too sure. I don’t expect much more than around 2400 to 2500 fps with them but will be fine in 250 to 300 yard range if that’s ever needed. Most here unless I hunt power lines will be 150 max

std7mag

Yeah, you'll be fine using 160gr load data, Wendy.
Although i typically veiw Noslers manual as engineered fiction.

With the heavier bullet & it being flat based, i might slow down on the burn rate.
I shot 160gr Sierra HPBT GameKings with RL19 giving good results.
Ramshot Hunter, Hybrid 100V might do good also if you have them.

Ken

Wendyj

Thanks all. I can't find RL19. I do have maybe a 1/2 lb of varget left. I've got ample supply of imr4350, RL15-RL-17-Staball6.5,Imr4350. Powders not readily availible in y area at this time.

std7mag

Your RL15 is close to a Varget load.
They won't set any speed records, but are accurate (which knowing you is what your after anyways) and you'll get 100% burn from it.

IMR4350 will get you a bit more velocity with the heavier bullet, with good accuracy. Case fill becomes the issue with it, like most stick powders with heavy bullets in the 7mm-08 case capacity.

RL17 will give you about 100fps more speed over IMR4350. Experience, not hype. And is plenty accurate for under 600 yards hunting. Again, case fill becomes the issue.

Staball 6.5 is showing some real promise in the 7mm-08!
Match shooters are finding acceptable accuracy with really good speeds.
They are saying that it's kinda "dirty". The additives in it are leaving a residue.

Keep us posted on your results!

Ken

PS.
Getting back into the 7mm-08AI game. Bought a Savage Axis II in 7mm-08. Swapped barrels with it & the Stevens 200.
Need to finish reaming & setting head space on the AI now.

Wendyj

Thanks Ken.. I just loaded up some 120 ttsx in the 7-08 with Staball 6.5 as it had decent reviews on lighter bullets and velocity. Hope to find out next weekend.
What doyouthinkabouttheAxisII. I’ve got a load of grand kids getting up close to shooting size now and I know the Axis and Ruger are affordable for them

Last edited:

GeauxTide

You might consider 154 Hornady. Probably more available. In my 280, the 139 and 154 shoot to the same POI. Be prepared to change out the trigger on the Axis or II.

std7mag

The trigger on the Axis, definitely needs help! I replaced the Axis trigger with a Rifle Basix. Big improvement!

For a hunting rifle, the Accu Trigger on the Axis II isn't bad, to me. I know some people really don't like the blade on the Accu Trigger. It doesn't bother me.

The stock is going straight into the hopper, though! I'll be replacing it with a Boyds.
I've been looking at their Spike Camp stock for it. Figured i'd try it & can give a review.

Since the Axis II is now wearing the E.R. Shaw 24" barrel in 250 Savage, the BDC scopes i have don't align with the ballistics.
So now wearing an EGW one piece base, EGW Keystone rings, and a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14X40 scope with MOA reticle.

One thing to note with newer Savage rifles.
They started using some sort of steel balls for their "Loctite" on their barrels.
Looks like steel shot blast media. And it sucks getting out!
Also, i think it messes up the threads of the barrel & receiver some.
I ordered a specialty thread chaser for the barrels, still looking for something for the receivers.

Last edited:

Wendyj

I was out scouting for primers before church last night and actually found a 1000 Winchester large rifle. Hurt to spend $100 on a thousand but I’m down to 1500 CCI br2 and there not to be found except for crooks on gunbroker at $300 per k. They had a sale for $440 on a Ruger American 308 so I thought why not. Give me something else to load up for. Will probably change out stock in the next year for the grand kids. Work up some light 165 loads.
Good to see powder and primers coming back around here some even though prices are double from 2 years back.

std7mag

If the 308 is for the kids, you might want to look for some 125gr bullets.
Bumps velocity up, and recoil down.

My daughter is recoil sensitive. For the 7X57 Mauser i built her, i've been loading 120gr Ballistic Tips.

And i wish i could find 1,000 primers locally.
Shops are limiting to 2 packs (200). And that IF they have any at all.

Wendyj

They won’t mind the recoil on this one because I’m going to put an APA Gen 3 LittleBastard muzzle rake on it. Shouldn’t have much more recoil than a light loaded 243. I’ve got a Ruger Ranch in 223 for their first training center fire. Got a chipmunk and a youth version 10-22 that they are starting out on. . They are only about 30 minutes from where I live. I love their brakes.
Don’t feel bad Ken. I bought two 100 packs of large pistol primers a few months back at $12.00 a hundred. My husband casts a 210 grain bullet for his 10 mm and he was down to one pack of primers for it. They had all kinds of Winchester large rifle in standard and magnum. First I’ve seen by the 1000 pack in a very long time. I came close to buying the mag primers for standard loads but don’t want to have to change loads again after finding a good one. We use 9.5 magnum primers in the magnum rifles and have half a brick left. Hope it eases up soon. I need Varget powder and more H4350 in a bad way. Using imr4350 and imr4064 for the time. I want to try a lb Og Big game but have never seen it here.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Wendy,

I ran the Hornady 154 grain SP listed in Hodgdon's IMR 4350 load in both Gordon's Reloading Tool and QuickLOAD and then substituted the 156-grain Oryx into it, using the 2.800" COL Hodgdon listed. In both programs, the pressure and velocity actually went down slightly with the Oryx. This is because, despite its slightly greater weight, it is about 70 thousandths shorter, so it took up less powder space in the case. If you stick with that COL, you should be able to use loads intended for the Hornady 154-grain bullets.

I will point out that both programs thought Hodgdon's top load of 47-grains of IMR-4350, compressed, would produce excessive pressure with both the 154 Hornady and the 156 Oryx. The software is not as accurate as actual testing, of course, but it usually produces lower rather than higher-than-measured pressure, so I take this as a caution. Hornady's top load is just 45 grains for 2700 fps, so you might be more comfortable stopping there.

For Reloader 15 and 17, the software thinks you can increase the Alliant 160-grain Speer bullet maximum loads by half a grain for the Oryx and that will be in the ballpark of matching peak pressure, again with 2.800" COL.

Both Hodgdon and Alliant used Remington cases. Hodgdon used a Remington 9½ primer, while Alliant used a CCI 200 for Reloader 15 and a Federal 210 for Reloader 17. As always, work up from 10% below the maximum of your choice.

Wendyj

Thanks UncleNick. That’s very helpful information. I appreciate your time doing all that work for me.

std7mag

What barrel length were you using to get your results, Unclenick?
Hodgdon & Berger usually uses a 24" barrel, whereas Sierra & Nosler use 26" barrels.
So subtract about 23fps per inch from 24" according to Bergers manual.

Your quotes 2.80" COAL is the SAAMI standard.
Your chamber & magazine length may let you load to a longer COAL.
My Stevens 200 allowed 2.895" with 0.020" jump for the 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.
140gr Berger VLD loaded to 2.90" for 0.005" off the lands.

Compressed loads not necessarily being a bad thing. I try not to go over 104%.
Doing so, you may want to crimp, as the powder will try to push the bullet out of the case neck.

GeauxTide

I put my American Predator in a Boyds Spike Camp. Looks great and you can add a pillar post to the build. For the 308, I've been loading 150 Hornady and 165 Grand Slam with 42gr of H4895, for 2588, and 2500. Great accuracy with small ES and SD at the Chrono. The 165 plows through deer at any angle. In my 7# Rem 788, recoil is mild.

std7mag said:
What barrel length were you using to get your results, Unclenick?
Hodgdon & Berger usually uses a 24" barrel, whereas Sierra & Nosler use 26" barrels.
So subtract about 23fps per inch from 24" according to Bergers manual.

The only velocity number I gave was for Hornady data. They use a 24" barrel, and I only gave that to indicate adequate velocity might be had without going hotter than Hornady does, but it will depend on the gun, of course.

std7mag said:
Your quotes 2.80" COAL is the SAAMI standard.
Your chamber & magazine length may let you load to a longer COAL.
My Stevens 200 allowed 2.895" with 0.020" jump for the 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.
140gr Berger VLD loaded to 2.90" for 0.005" off the lands.

I used 2.800" because I was looking for a result based on the published data and needed to keep it apples-to-apples. In other words, rather than trying to predict velocity and pressure, just get a number relative to those published numbers that would likely reach the same pressure to be equivalent to a published load but with Wendy's different bullet weight. The handloader always has to work up or down from those numbers and for changes in seating depth.

std7mag said:
Compressed loads not necessarily being a bad thing. I try not to go over 104%.
Doing so, you may want to crimp, as the powder will try to push the bullet out of the case neck.

Nothing against compressed loads. On the contrary, I mentioned it to distinguish it. When you compress a load you reduce the amount of air space between the grains in the case. With some powders, that can actually reduce the relative burn rate by making it harder for the ignition flame front to travel through the spaces between the grains. Thus, the fact the software was saying the pressure was too high may be an exaggeration. Nonetheless, rather than count on these effects, either way, it is important to work the load up with the usual cautions.