6x45mm Question

rodwhaincamo

Is the 6x45mm restricted to lighter boattails or can 100+ gr bullets be used? Overall bullet length? Will it take up case capacity using heavier bullets?
Can 5.56mm magazines be used as is or is a follower swap needed?
Can't make up my mind between the 6.5mm Grendel or the 6mm...

rodwhaincamo

I don't normally trust what is posted on wiki, but I'm going to assume it's fairly accurate. Since a barrel swap was the only change listed I'd have to assume a follower change isn't necessary. I would also have to assume that a 100 gr boattail with a higher BC that the Sierra Gameking would indeed take up some case capacity.
I am interested in loading with heavy polymer tipped bullets for medium game/SHTF, as well as heavy varmint bullets or match HPs for varmint/predator eliminating. I'm not very interested in lighter bullets with low BCs as I like the wind-bucking ability, especially for such small targets at possibly long ranges[300 yds].

Longdayjake

The upside to the 6x45 is that you dont need to do any modification other than a new barrel. I know there are 100 grain loadings for them but I can't quite remember who makes them. I talked to a company that is having black hills make them for their guns while I was at shot show but I can't remember who they were. I think it was something like Spirit Arms or something similar.

Anyway, there aren't many dies or companies making the caliber but there really is nothing wrong with it. However, it is only marginally better than the .223 as far as I could tell.

ballardw

Many of the 6mm bullets over about 80 grains start getting into issues with the overall length and efficiency when used in the AR. The bullets have to be set deeper to fit the magazine unless you're going to use it as a single shot. The set back reduces the space for powder and gets inefficient quickly.

If you want to use 75 grain bullets from an AR without other modifications and use the magazines this is a serious contender. Might find someone making a slower barrel twist if you decide not to use the heavier bullets to better match the bullet weight.

SSK also is proposing a 6.5 MPC which takes the same idea a bit further with a .223 necked up to 6.5 but the same concerns only more so.

And I feel your pain trying to make this decision. I've been bouncing back and forth on this also.l