6mm remington barrel on savage action

akinswi

I was thinking of ordering a shilen barrel chambered in 6mm remington to replace the .308 barrel on my savage 12 FVSS. was wondering if the action will work any advice be great thanks

steveNChunter

Yes it will work just fine. Same case head diameter, both short action cartridges. Should feed fine as well if your model 12 has a magazine. If it's a single shot, cartridge length doesn't really matter, so that's a plus if you want to load some of the longer 6mm bullets.

Nice choice with the 6mm Remington. Have you considered the Ackley improved version?

T. O'Heir

Max OAL for the 6mm Rem is 2.825". 2.820" for the .308. Both with the heaviest bullets Hodgdon lists. Shouldn't need anything but head spacing.
The AI will give you about 100 fps more than the regular 6mm. 6mm Rem AI is a reloading only cartridge. There is no factory ammo or brass.
'U' is not a word.

steveNChunter

Max OAL for the 6mm Rem is 2.825". 2.820" for the .308. Both with the heaviest bullets Hodgdon lists. Shouldn't need anything but head spacing.
The AI will give you about 100 fps more than the regular 6mm. 6mm Rem AI is a reloading only cartridge. There is no factory ammo or brass.
'U' is not a word.

First of all, you have listed the SAAMI max OAL for 6mm rem and .308 win. The reloader is not limited to these lengths. If one wanted to load heavy/long-for-caliber bullets, they could have the chamber throat cut a little longer to be able to seat the bullet further out of the case to keep from losing case capacity. This won't always work in short actions with magazines because they often run out of magazine length before the bullet can be seated as far out as desired. If I were planning on loading bullets over 100 gr in a 6mm rem, I'd want a long action unless it's a single shot.

You are correct that the 6mm AI is for reloaders only. But as for the brass, all factory ammo is just one shot away from being AI brass because it can be fire-formed from factory brass. And 6mm rem brass can be easily made from .257 roberts or 7x57 mauser as well so it's usually not too hard to find usable brass if you do a little looking.

100 more fps is a conservative estimate. You should see at least 150 fps increase. The AI has about 10% more case capacity

10-96

+1 on the hard to find brass. Recently I completed a 6mm build on a 1903A3 action. I think the day I brought it home is the day all brass started being made out of unobtainium. You can find Hornady loaded ammo- but if you have a 1:12 or 1:13 twist like mine- that 95 and 100gr loaded ammo won't be stabilized worth a darn.

.257 Roberts brass is likewise hard to find. 7mm Mauser brass is out there- but I don't know and haven't gotten a definitive answer as to whether or not I'll have to thin down the necks after I re-size them.

emcon5

If it was me, I would go with .243 instead. Performance is essentially equal, and brass is available (4 options ready to ship from Midway at the moment, including the best brass there is, Lapua).