6mm Rem.

markmcj

This looks like a cartrigde that I like. Really flat shooting, with a 70 grainer. Is this round a throat killer or what? From the ballistics I'm looking at you can get a 70 gr. bullet up and over 3500 fps. 4000 fps looks like a piece of cake with a 55 grainer. Flat shooting varmit and paper puncher. Any thoughts?

markmcj

12-34hom

I have and shoot a 6mm in the ackley version. The barrel has a 1&8 twist so that heavier bullets can be used, ie... 105 &107 grains.

The ackley version hols about 2 grains less than 257 Weatherby mag, mine aslo likes to shoot light bullets, esp, 58 grain V-max. With 47.5 grain of Varget - CCI benchrest primers - Reminton brass - i get a loading that shoots right at @ 4000fps - with arounf 21 standard deviation. It is an excellent varmint loading out to 400 yards.

The 6mm popularity was diminished by the introdution of 243 Winchester round. Still it has its fans, with the wide variety of powdrers, bullet weights, it is a good overall cartridge for varmints thru deer sized animals.

12-34hom.

retiredsgt

Have a 6mm in a Ruger No.1. Great shooting rifle. Use the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT on deer. Devasting. Heart and lungs magically turn into soup. Am about to start working up a load using either Sierra's 55gr. or Hornady's 58 gr. Varmint bullets. Just a little more horse power than the 243. Great Round!;)

Rugershooter

I also have a Ruger #1b in 6mm rem and have used it to take alot of woodchucks in the past 10 years, I use 70 and 75grn bullets with RL19 for powder. Great round. Dan:)