6mm BR Norma revisited

stagpanther

I haven't shot this build for a while, but found some cases primed and ready to go. After loading 95 gr vlds propelled by varget I discovered that I somehow endeavored to lose the magazine--not a good thing since MDT's mags are quite expensive. It's a savage axis fitted with an EABCO barrel and fitted to an MDT chassis. Some of you might recall that I had the less than brilliant idea of cleaning the bore with a bathroom cleaner doing damage to the muzzle. Umm, yes, I was that stupid. The scope is an old Nikon Monarch--in its day a pretty good hunting scope but not very competitive with today's scopes.

attachment.php

7 shots at 255 yds--the first is the one that hit high and right, I think I simply spazzed and rolled the rifle on the bag but the next 6 landed pretty good. Some of my last shooting for a while as I must attend to other pressing needs--I hope I don't suffer withdrawal symptoms.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8049.jpg
    IMG_8049.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 6mmBR Norma 95 vld 31.1 varget 255yds.jpg
    6mmBR Norma 95 vld 31.1 varget 255yds.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 86

stagpanther

Very nice group. Most folks would be happy with that at 100 yds.
Thanks--it's a very nice cartridge and capable of more than this, this isn't really that remarkable for the inherent accuracy the cartridge is capable of. Also very soft shooting which adds to its attractiveness. I may build another one one day with higher quality components and chambered in one of its brethren--there are many "mutations" of the basic 6mm BR.

FITASC

6mm BR in one of several iterations is amazingly accurate and easy to shoot. Even my XP-100 in 7mm BR was amazing when I did my part. I often thought of having it made into a 6mmbr single shot rifle - one of those "wish I didn't sell it" guns. Nice grouping!

stagpanther

6mm BR in one of several iterations is amazingly accurate and easy to shoot. Even my XP-100 in 7mm BR was amazing when I did my part. I often thought of having it made into a 6mmbr single shot rifle - one of those "wish I didn't sell it" guns. Nice grouping!
6mm seems ideal for the rather small case.

reynolds357

I haven't shot this build for a while, but found some cases primed and ready to go. After loading 95 gr vlds propelled by varget I discovered that I somehow endeavored to lose the magazine--not a good thing since MDT's mags are quite expensive. It's a savage axis fitted with an EABCO barrel and fitted to an MDT chassis. Some of you might recall that I had the less than brilliant idea of cleaning the bore with a bathroom cleaner doing damage to the muzzle. Umm, yes, I was that stupid. The scope is an old Nikon Monarch--in its day a pretty good hunting scope but not very competitive with today's scopes.

attachment.php

7 shots at 255 yds--the first is the one that hit high and right, I think I simply spazzed and rolled the rifle on the bag but the next 6 landed pretty good. Some of my last shooting for a while as I must attend to other pressing needs--I hope I don't suffer withdrawal symptoms.

attachment.php
I don't know what it is about the 6 BR but it is the easiest load to develop I have ever messed with, both in it's Rem and Norma incarnations.

stagpanther

but it is the easiest load to develop I have ever messed with, both in it's Rem and Norma incarnations.
It's one of those "inherently accurate" designs, my theory is the combination of the case design, the typical range of charge weights and the resulting ignition consistencies make it a "honey hummer." The 284 win is another such design.