686 Tweaks

parrothead2581

Can anyone recommend any performance enhancing, do-it-yourself tweaks for my S&W 686, i.e. replacing factory parts? I would hope these changes would improve it for both home defense and range use. I don't care to send it off to S&W's performance center.....Thanks!

CarbineCaleb

I will drop of my 686 later this week to have the following done

Well, I am going to have this done by a gunsmith, but I picked up a "Wolff Power Rib Shooter's Pak" spring kit for the 686 to lighten and improve the trigger:
http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolver/SmithWesson_Rv.html#S&WKLN
I will have him put in the reduced power mainspring, and either the 14lb or 15lb rebound spring (stock rebound spring is 18lb according to Wolff, and they sell 12-16lb individually; 13,14,15lb come in the Shooter's Pak)
Wolff's part number is: 17121

And while he's at it, I will ask him to replace the front sight with the Hi-Viz overmolded green fiber optic sight to improve my focus on the front sight, as well as it's visibility:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9510&title=FIBER+OPTIC+HANDGUN+SIGHT
Brownell's part number is 638-000-002

I haven't done any gunsmithing, so am having this done by a pro, but if you are experienced with that, I think you could do both jobs yourself. Price for parts is about $60 for both. Let me know what you do and how it works out!

Best,
Caleb

k in AR

For performance only, I use the wolff spring kit with the reduced power mainspring and a lighter rebound spring.
For a use that includes protection, I only use Wolff standard power mainsprings or better yet, leave it as factory and shoot it smooth.
A very good action lub, properly applied, can also help in many cases.
Important:
Never grind or change the sear notch, etc. Doing so will allow the hammer to drop if the hammer is hit, gun dropped, or even if the hammer is pushed on (in really extream cases).
JMHO, even the polishing of anything in the sear area should be done by a good gunsmith.

Majic

You really should get the books or the video on working on your revolver as it sounds like you are venturing into unknown regions. It's not rocket science, but some little mistakes can mean expensive repairs.

9mm1033

For about the same price as buying the books and videos, you could have a qualified gunsmith do the work. I did and it paid off because he lightened the hammer drop alittle too much. The trigger was so-o-o smooth, but I had a couple FTF. Took it back, test fired his ammo at the shop, and he fixed the problem. Guys who tinker with the internals of a handgun know their stuff. If you aren't sure and you screw it up...you're screwed! :eek:

Majic

For about the same price as buying the books and videos, you could have a qualified gunsmith do the work.
That is true, but if want the same work done to another revolver you then don't have to pay the gunsmith's charge.