686 slim "target" grip options? Altamont is out

tangolima

I have a few older revolvers, s&w and Colt. The wood grips on them are difficult for shooting. I have to constantly readjust my hand grip. Tried a pachmeyer rubber grip. It worked great, but it defeated the classic look that I'm quite font of.

I don't really care for the fancy target grips either. They are expensive, and, to be frank, they are a bit on the pretentious side.

I ended up choosing the poor man's middle ground. Grip adapters. They are affordable and work great in all aspects.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jetinteriorguy

You could always scrounge up a pair of classic grips and just start sanding them down until you like them and then just refinish them when done. If you have access to a belt sander it probably wouldn’t take long.

wild cat mccane

I am considering the "target" grips with finger grooves off ebay. Sand down the grooves and then take off equally on the inside seem.

I wonder if the finish or stripping finish used it would just be a mess though.

Altamont has an another version they do have in stock, "BATELEUR."

They don't have the perfect classic target shape though...

Anyone with BATELEUR conversions from Altamont?

wild cat mccane

You've ordered from them?

The website is sending some personal alarm bells. Too, they have a lot of grips that have been out of stock from Altamont for a long time.

I did find what I want though!

wild cat mccane

Thanks trophyrider!

Altamont hasn't had these grips in over a year. Made the purchase.

http://handgungrips.com/content/sw-kl-conversion-checkered-natural-walnut-roper

I will say this about walnut. We have a walnut tree in our yard. I hate it so much. Even the small twigs are like getting wacked by a bat live, but snap with explosive energy when dry. While strong, the dead branches come down like it's their job (like a silver leaf crap maple) and the leaves are big suckers. It has an oil that kills the grass below it. Rats love walnuts. It has a distinct smell like a juniper but not as nice. Basically I hate walnut. Hardwood tree that people like. I would call it a total trash tree.

It randomly got enough die off last year to kill most of it. Think it got too hot where we live. Thought I would never be happier knowing I get to cut it down this year and never see "walnut" again but in Christmas bags. Almost considering getting a chain saw just to make the even fun, though a sawzall will do it just fine.

That said, I think that walnut Roper grip just looks right. Very happy with the appearances of these :)

Last edited:

trophyrider

Glad you found what you needed. I have ordered from them a couple of times and they were fast to ship and had grips in stock when Altamont was out of stock.

wild cat mccane

Hi.

Sorry for the return.

The "Roper" conversion grips on the round 686...it's okay, but not cutting it for me for the looks department. No other complaint.

The above order is on my gun below.

What about the Altamont "BATELEUR" (https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/k-round/)

I'm going for a sharp wood look and I'm not sure I got it right...

fh0s6Yem.png

jar

You've ordered from them?

The website is sending some personal alarm bells. Too, they have a lot of grips that have been out of stock from Altamont for a long time.

I did find what I want though!
Ordered from them but it took forever to get them to send me anything and even then it was not what I actually wanted but rather what they had in stock. Correspondence was a nightmare with long periods of silence before getting a response.

Drm50

I think I’m in same boat. I like the LOP of S&W Target grips but they are to wide for me.
Herret also made these, I have one set for N frame.

wild cat mccane

I think the "conversion" grip is shorter than the "roper" just by pictures on their website.

The BATELEUR appears very similar with added finger grooves. Maybe the Conversion look is what I'm going for, but the BATELEUR adds a little jazz too...

I think the "Premium target" are too long looking. It's making it look disproportionate.