686 Replacement Barrel

scsov509

I thought I'd start a thread and see what suggestions you might have as I prepare to replace the barrel on my 686. The original barrel needs to be replaced as it has been rung with a squib load. :mad: It's a no-dash, 4" 686 that I've been shooting as my primary target pistol for years, and I now I've got to decide what route to go with the replacement.

First of all there is the question of what barrel length to use. I've been using the 4" of course for years, but am toying with the idea of ordering a 6" replacement. It used to be that the 686 got a lot of woods carry until a few years back when I purchased a .44 mag, so that now the 686 is exclusively a target pistol. So there is a part of me that sees no reason to not opt for the longer barrel. I'd be interested in whatever thoughts you might have about this question specifically?

The other thought that occurs to me is exploring the possibility of an aftermarket barrel of some sort. I've know that it has become increasingly popular to take the early 686 action and build a custom pistol around it. So, being a target pistol, I'm at least partially intrigued at the thought of using this as an opportunity to maybe take my beloved 686 an entirely different route.

I'm interested to hear your experiences and recommendations, and appreciate your assistance in helping me choose how to proceed. :D

Sevens

Well, the squib load didn't do any damage you know... it was the round you fired NEXT that effed up your revolver! :eek: In any case, have you done any bench resting with it since you ringed the barrel? I've heard where some folks have ringed a barrel but not ruined the accuracy... anyhow, it's a thought.

I've got a 6-inch 686 and I think it looks better than a 4-inch, but it's very muzzle heavy and I might go four inch if I had the chance because of it.

FALPhil

Lew Horton had a special run of 5 inch barreled 586s back in the '80s, IIRC. I would look at having the 6 inch barrel turned down into a 5 incher. It looks perfect to me, and people who have them claim the balance is terrific.

scsov509

Well, the squib load didn't do any damage you know... it was the round you fired NEXT that effed up your revolver! In any case, have you done any bench resting with it since you ringed the barrel? I've heard where some folks have ringed a barrel but not ruined the accuracy... anyhow, it's a thought.

We had a large group of 1st time shooters out a few months back, and I'm pretty sure that the squib must've occurred when one of the newbies was shooting. They were my reloads, so that ultimately it was my fault, although if I had been the one shooting then I would have most certainly caught the squib before chasing it down the tube. :(

As far as checking the barrel out after the fact, the only reason I found the ring is that I have been having some exceptional accuracy problems as of late. I'd thought perhaps the rear sight assembly was having some issues as it was repaired for a similar problem about a year ago, but determined through some range work that the sight wasn't the issue. Closer inspection finally revealed the ring, which is incidentally about 1" from the muzzle. I talked with one of our department armorers who said that rings mid-barrel or closer to the frame tend to not affect accuracy too much, while those closer to the muzzle do. So there's no way to get her back to target condition without a barrel replacement.