686 Plus Pros and Cons please??

cslinger

I have fallen in lust with the 7 shot 686 Plus in stainless steel. I want one in a 4 inch barrel and I want to put either Rosewood or Cocobolo gribs on it.

Is there anything I should know besides the standard S&W political stuff, which I have read, which I agree is heinous, but I can stand to see an American icon go down the tubes. Besides the only two revolvers I really like are Smiths and Rugers and they both pretty much screwed us at one point. So I politely ask we leave the politics at the door.

I just love the idea of a 7 shot .357 revo. Reliability, capacity, power. If I get one it might just oust, my SIG 220 as my first response home defense weapon of choice.

So tell me does anybody have anything positive or negative to say?

Thanks

Chris

Sundance

I have one and love it. The action is about the worst of any S&W I own, but I am sure it is just a fluke...It must have been built first thing on a Monday morning! (It is still better than any Colt, Taurus, or Ruger DA) I intend to send it off to have an action job at some point, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The concept is flawless...I mean...why own a 6 shot gun when you can own a 7 shot the same size? Right? And there are tons of beautiful aftermarket grips to fit the S&W K/L grip frame.

Mag

686 Plus

As Sundance notes the action can use some improvement. I had mine tuned and now it has a 7 - 7.5 pound double action pull and 2.5 pound single action pull, and times correctly. Someday I may try the Miculek spring kit and
C&S firing pin to see if can reduce the pull to under 7 pounds in double action. I agree, why have a 6 shooter when one can have a 7 shooter. If you can't abide the new style action look for a 686-4 Plus with hammer mounted firing pin. I would not part with my 686 (nor my Ruger GP-100 for that matter). A side benefit of 7 shots is that it cuts the weight a couple of ounces. I would go for it!

Mag

dairycreek

I have two S&W 386+ revolvers!

One is a 4" as you describe and the other is a "snubby". Have about 1500 rounds through each and both actions have improved througfh use. I have a "lamocamo" wood grip on the snubby and it sure is pretty. Can't say anything negative. Good shooting:)

Chris W

My 686+ is 4" (which is the perfect length, I think; plenty accurate, yet easy to carry and quick to handle). I must've got lucky, 'cause the action on mine just rocks. Double action initially had a little bit of grind at the end, which has smoothed out appreciably with the 'action job' of maybe 400 rounds of ammo and probably at least as many dry fires. Single action was a dream right out of the box. Both felt better than the Rugers I could compare it with when shopping--the main reason I chose the Smith.

I tried a pair of Rosewood grips, but find I like the little checkered service grips for the round-butt L-frame; it lets me hold it up high on the backstrap, and I don't feel like I need a whole lot of extra grip to hold onto when I've got all that gun to absorb recoil for me. Those little grips help make it a small package on the hip, too (not that I carry it concealed). Whatever you put on it, though, I think pretty wood and stainless look great, and this is just a beautiful and beautifully balanced gun. You'll love it, I bet.

cw

bountyh

I have a 686+ built in the late 90's. It's probably the finest wheelgun made for accuracy and smooth trigger. I wouldn't sell it for any price. That said, I recently went out to add a model 66 to my collection and was dismayed by the poor finish quality. The first one I looked at had about .015" of cylinder wobble in lockup (ON A NEW GUN!). The second one looked OK until I got out my feeler gauges and found out the barrel/cylinder gap was > .011" (about twice what it should be). The owner said he would send it back to the distributor and added that it happened all the time.

Bottom line, take somebody who knows guns with you if you look at ANY guns. Check all gaps, and cylinder alignment (use a range rod or just eyeball it). Check trigger pull for weight and smoothness. There is a lot of junk out there and (unfortunately) some of it is made by SW.

joelno

I have a 686 7-shot and a 681 7-shot.

Both guns have very nice triggers, and are very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to use either as house guns.

If a 7-shot excites you, consider an 8-shot. Costs more, yes, but they are LOTS of fun.

Paladin7

Want my recommendation? - GO FOR IT!

I have a 686+ 4" purchased new in the late 90's, mine has one of the best production triggers I have ever experienced on a revolver. The gun is very accurate, built like a Swill watch, and just downright beautiful to look at.

I also find the lock time on the 7 shot action to be quicker.

Enjoy!

mikey357

There have been several "Threads" on this subject here in the past...one of the best that I can remember is titled "Any probs. with 686+"...last post was around 8/05...also, do a search on "686 Plus" and "686 +"...I believe you'll find lots of good advice!!!....mikey357

CZ_

686 Plus

I have the 6" model. The trigger pulls on mine are excellent. SA breaks like glass and is very light, and double action is short and smooth. Accuracy is outstanding. I've fired only 100 .357 magnum rounds through it, and I tend to baby it now. I am shooting only .38 special and .38 special +P in it now, as I don't want to risk loosening it up.

Russ

I have a 686 6 shot from 1986. Still my favorite gun. Accurate, fun to shoot. Back then they came with Goncalo Alves grips. You'll love it. Get it!!

Gary H

Have 686+ and am in the process of selling it. Mine is a 6", sorry. Great gun, nice action and very accurate.

Negatives:

I prefer the feel of the N-Frame.
If you like seven rounds..Why not eight?
Six shots only allowed in most competitions.

KEN CHAVEZ

I own a 686+, I think it is a great gun. I think the trigger is great, straight from the factory. I am still trying to find the right grip for this gun and my 386PD. The only thing that I don't like about my 686+ is that I bought it with a 21/2" barrel, and I wish that I had bought it with the 4" barrel.
My recommendation is go out and buy the 686+, with the 4" barrel, I don't think that you will ever regret it. ;)

gumshoe4

I have an older 681 4" 6-shot which I bought new. I don't know much about the current crop of 686s, but my 681 is just a great revolver which I will NEVER sell. It's the most reliable, smooth, accurate handgun I own and is also great fun to shoot. If the new 686s are anything like it, I recommend them, but I suspect that S&W has probably monkeyed with the internals on the new guns to the point where they're not the same. If you can, shoot an older L-frame from comparison and then make your decision.

Bob

MR.G

Have the 686 Plus in 2-1/2", 3", and 4"
All three are great guns, and I plan to add a 6" soon. The 3" is one of only 500 made for a special order in 1999. Was fortunate to find that one, like new in the box. I shoot the 2-1/2" the most, and have never had any problems. Very smooth action.

WESHOOT2

PRO CON

Con:

cylinder too short for stupid ammo
gun not strong enough for stupid ammo

Pro:

everything

That said, I own KGP141's..........

Got that, C.R.Sam :D :D :D :D :D

WESHOOT2

TRUE SIX-SHOOTER STORY

Once upon a time I owned a M67 with without question the finest trigger I have ever felt before or after.
Gun was good past 150 yds.

Stolen.
Rats.

(Wife's M38 is close, but still not like that unbelievable M67.)

Someday I will own a M610.