686 or Python

branrot

Which is better? I'm considering picking one up as a target gun; I'm also purchasing a reloading press and want a solid .357 to shoot the product.

I'm considering a 4 inch 686 (6 shot), or a 6 inch Python (preferably bright stainless). Obviously the Python is at least twice as much.

Politics aside, is the Python worth the extra cash? If so, why? Is it stronger? Does it shoot better? Is it more accurate?

taco

If you are not going to shoot "hot" load all the time then I would say get the Python. If you plan on shooting a lot of "hot" ammo then I would say get the Ruger GP100. S&W 686 is a fine gun but Python is usually more accurate and GP100 IS stronger.

I have owned all three of these revolvers (all with 6" barrel) but since I usually shoot "target" loads I kept the Python and sold/traded others away. Exceptions aside, IMHO Python is THE most accurate revolver you will find. Looks great too.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's Poster's,

Having owned several Python's and two S&W 686's,
I'd say the comparsion is a little unjust, in favor of the Colt Python. By all means the Python
is the finer gun; but if you want to digest full-
house loads with maxinum velocity, then I'd go with a 6" S&W 686 for best result's. As a matter
of fact, make that a 686-5, as it is suppose to have been beefed up a bit to handle full power load's?
I just bought a NIB 6-shot 686-5 with a 6" barrel,
and it's one fine weapon; surprising me as to what
small object's at long distance's, I can hit!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Archie

Like the man said,

what do you want to do?

If you are going to use it for general shooting, I did pick the L frame. The Ruger GP 100 would be a close second. If we're talking about new guns, the Ruger wins until S&W gets back to being a firearms manufacturer.
(Yeah, you said politics aside, but....)

The Python is mean looking but rather fragile inside. They go out of time badly. They are certainly the "coolest" looking.

I'm also a double action shooter, not a hammer cocker, so the Python rates a distant fourth compared to the Smith and the Ruger. (Yes, I said fourth.)

Wally

branrot
If you want good targets, most will get smaller groups with a 6" something than with a 4" something else.With well tuned guns I'd give the accuracy edge to the 686 as it's sights give me a slightly better picture than those of the Python. No question the Python is prettier,particularly the bright one!!!

If you are going to be completely practical about it, you really should have both, and a GP100 in reserve.Come on, you're only going this way once!!!-Wally

dewey

Overpriced guns

Just as I won't pay 50% too much for a car OR a
house I would never pay $600 + + for a Python. I
guess that some folks 'have-to-have' something
so they pay too much. EGO THING ?....I'm not sure.

For the (over)price of Python you can pick up a
S&W M19 AND M686 . Think about it...dewey
+++PS-- I know a guy who paid $1200 for a 6"
Nickel one last Jan. Hope he REALLY likes it.I
have never had ANY gun other than a top-break
1903 .38S&W that had a WORSE action. +++

Sorry Dewey. Six hundred dollars for a Python no longer get you one. New production Pythons are selling for one thousand dollars and used NIB is breaking nine hundred dollars. We have had two new Pythons hit the store and the finish is production S&W (brush finish) and the trigger is awful. Definitely not the Python of old.

Robert

Good Guy

Very, very nice, although I prefer Royal Blue. If I could only have one 357, and could afford it, it would be a Python. I love mine. The only other one would be a prewar registered S&W 357. My 2 favorites. I have read that the current new Pythons are not up to the older gun standards as has been mentioned above. But then that's the case with most of things in life.

Isn't it customary for auction sites to give 3 day inspection priviliges? I see no mention of it made. I'd be a little leery of big ticket guns without the possibilty of an inspection.

Marko Kloos

Pythons are exceptional revolvers, but 686s are not 50% worse. The value on the Pythons is grossly overinflated, and I'd rather spend $400 on a 686 than over twice as much on a Python. I have a 6" 686 which I purchased used for $280, and it's almost as nice as the 4" Python I used to own many moons ago. Nothing beats the old Colt Royal Blue for looks, but I am just not willing to pay that kind of premium. I'd be afraid to take it out and shoot it, for fear of scuffing up a priceless gun. I'd rather take my 686 and have a good time at the range, knowing that the price was right and the gun can take a ding or two in its stainless hide without depreciating in value by 20%...

Sling Shot

Buy the 686 and do not look back, or a 586 if you prefer a blued model. I think one of the reasons the Python of old was more accurate than the 686 is due to the fact that the rifling twist of the Python was aimed at shooting the .38 special while the 686 barrel was designed to shoot the .38 and .357. I can not remember the exact figures on the rifling of the Python or 686, but I do remember the Python had a faster rifling twist.
Sling Shot

Monkeyleg

Dewey, if you're going to buy a NIB Python, buy one from the 1960's or 1970's and don't shoot it. They're going to gain in value over the years, so why pay a premium for an unfired gun just to ruin its value by shooting it?

The 586/686 is a beefier gun and, with just a little work, its trigger can be as good as a Python.

I own both a 586 and a Python. The former is for shooting, the latter is for fondling.

Just my .02.

lonegunman

Hey, guns were made to be fired, not fondled! If I want to look at one I can go to a museum. If I own it, I gotta shoot it.

Pythons are going for close to $1000 right now. But there is no way they are going to go up much more than that for a long long time.

Eventually Colt will again produce them in numbers large enough to cause the price to fall. I would not buy one right now.

The python is a great gun, but it is a little overrated. I have several S&W's with triggers and actions just as good.

justinr1

Lonegunman, I agree. First of all, ALL guns are meant to be shot! I will not pay the premium for a Python at this time. If Colt ever decides to get back into the action, then they will HAVE to produce NEW Pythons! IF they come off the line as premium guns I WILL buy one! But they have to prove it.

justinr1

Russ

A number of years ago, 12+ I'd say, there was an article in one of the gun rags comparing the 6" bbl, 686, Python and Dan Wesson. The 686 came out on top for accuracy in this comparison. It wasn't as pretty as the Python or the Dan Wesson but overall the 686 was the best buy. I don't know if that holds true with newer production models or not or whether the guns in this test just worked out that way.

The 686 is a fine weapon. I have the 6" I bought in 1986 and I still love it. Very accurate. I don't have hands on experience with the others so I defer to those that have.

Dfariswheel

Rolls Royce in cars, Rolex in watches, and Python in revolvers. There are faster cars than Rolls, and any $6.95 quartz watch will keep better time than the Rolex. However, no gun, on average, will out shoot the Python. Python barrels have tapered bores. They get tighter toward the muzzle. This, and the high quality bore, and tight cylinder lock up, is why they shoot so well.

If you're looking for a target gun, that's what the Python was originally designed to be. Yes, newer model guns have stronger, actions and may be better values, but the Python is the way to go for what you want.

Plus, you may not be able to afford a Rolls, or a Rolex, but you can have a Python.

The older Pythons were quality firearms which demanded old world craftsmenship and care to assemble. The metallurgy in those Pythons were 4140 steel and had its advantage over S&W in longevity. Once a Python was tuned, it stayed tuned. Problem is that it takes about 2-3 times longer to tune one than a S&W. S&W parts were case hardened and once the case hardened surface wore, it degenerated rapidly and a new part had to be fitted. The Python didn't have that problem since the old part could be stretched by peening.

Given the choice between an older Python and a S&W, easily I'd reach for the Python. If the newer production Pythons are as described by our members, they draw no attraction from me and I could just as easily choose a S&W or Ruger GP-100.