686 models

ctjoe

Is there a site that would have the bdifferences between all the 686's. I went on gunbroker and gunsamerica and see some have dashes with #'s after it eg 686-6. I am looking but am now more confused then ever. I know some are older m odels but that doesnt make it outdated. Was hoping to compare

Thanks

vytoland

this will get you started.................

686 ''dash nothing'' - 1980

686-1, 1986 - radius stud package and floating hand

686-M - 1987 recall stamping on earlier versions

686-2, 1987, hammer nose change, bushing and ass'd parts

686-3, 1988, new yoke retention system
1990 - 2 1/2" barrel introduced.

686-4 ........ 1994 thru 1998 - many changes including move to 7 shot, sight changes etc

686-5 had the move to MIM parts and frame mounted firing pin

Winchester_73

One of the models has a lug barrel, this looks heavier then reg barrel, is thet true

I'm pretty sure that all 686s have a lug. As far as different models, there are all the -X changes which are for the most part small changes until you get you the internal lock, which is considered a big change. There is also the 686 plus which is a 7 shot gun.

carguychris

I'm pretty sure that all 686s have a lug.
Not so. There was a stocking dealer special a few years ago that had a 5" barrel with a partial lug, a red Hi-Viz front sight, and combat finger-groove stocks. There's also the currently-produced M686 SSR, which has a tapered slab-sided barrel and forged lockwork like the M686 no-dash through M686-4. However, you're correct about 95%+ of M686 production; most have full lugs.

FWIW many S&W enthusiasts consider the -4 to be the high point of the "traditional" M686 because it came drilled for a scope base and was available with the 7-shot cylinder, but it still has the old-style forged lockwork and hammer-mounted firing pin. -4's command more money on the auction sites for this reason. However, all of them shoot about the same, and if you dislike the ILS, it can easily be disabled (instructions can be found on this site and elsewhere).

IMHO there's no reason to turn down any particular dash number from a functional standpoint, although you'll need a gunsmith to drill the frame if you want to mount a scope on a -3 and earlier model.

Ctjoe, I suggest cross-shopping the M586 if you don't feel you need stainless finish. They're generally a bit cheaper and are functionally the same, although the gun's production run ended before the introduction of the 7-shot models, so all M586s are 6-shot except for a few pricey and sought-after Performance Center special editions. You could also look at the M620, which was basically a discounted 7-shot M686+ with a 2-piece partial-lug barrel. All M620s have the ILS.

FYI S&W sold a few .38Spl-only M586 and M686 South American and European contract overruns. They also sold a Performance Center M686 in .38 Super. These guns are quite rare and command high prices on the auction sites simply because of their rarity; there is no reason to choose one of them over a run-of-the-mill .357Mag model unless you are a collector.

Winchester_73

Thanks for that post Carguychris, that was pretty informative. Now, among other S&Ws, I will wish upon a star for a 686 in 38 super in addition to a nickel triple lock in 44 special, Schofield, original nickel Mod 18, model 50, nickel baby chief, a 5 screw airweight centennial (pre model 42), registered magnum, pre model 26, a sharp model 2 (4in preferably), bicycle gun, the S&W 32 auto and a 1891 single shot / revolver factory combination in the box. Throw in a model 56, 73 and a straight line target NIB for fun.

There's actually a ton of cool ones that I left out. And I want them too.

But after all of that, I would just want more anyways. :eek:

ctjoe

great post carguychris. very informative. I was looking at the stocking stuufer 5" barrel but was concerned it looked bulky and may be heavier

kle

There was a special, limited run (non Performance Center) 586-7 with the Internal Lock, MIM innards, and 7-shot cylinder.