686 grip question

Mastrogiacomo

Picked up my Dad's Remy 870 HD and got my 2" 686. Does anyone else notice the pinky doesn't sit right on this grip? Feels an 1" or 2 longer than it needs to be. Is there anything else more comfortable that won't add weight?

Mastrogiacomo

I do. "Piano hands" were what a teacher once described them as. It's nice but it seems when I grip the gun, my pinky's in the wrong place and the Hogue is just too much grip. Just me? Maybe I need something smaller. Suggestions?

Majic

It also sounds like you have finger grooved grips which can be difficult to buy as they need to fit the spacing of your fingers almost perfectly to feel right. Try some non finger grooved grips where finger placement isn't restricted.
One of the best ideas (and an old one) is to get a set of the old Magnas or service stocks and add a Tyler T grip adapter to them. The grip will then be slim and the adapter will fill in behind the trigger guard.

BigBoar

What Majic says about the finger groove grips I second. I have average size hands and the Hogue finger groove grips don't work for me. I can think of two approaches.

(1) Have Herrett make up some grips (Detective Special) to fit your hand. You send them a tracing.

(2) Try Ahrends grips without the finger grooves. They are thinner without as much a palm swell so it is possible your hand will be positioned better. DHart posts here and has some pictures of these grips on some of his guns. The price is somewhat less that Herretts, too.

trespass

favored grip

I like a small grip and prefer the Pachmayr Professional compact...
if you have larger hands you may want to try and regular professional (which has a back strap and is a bit thicker)...I am not a fan of finger groove grips at all, seem to restrict me more than assist...basically, it's what feels right and works...