686 For Carry?

Tucker 1371

I go to USMC boot in about 2 weeks. When I graduate around May 7th-ish and after I pay for uniforms I should have some cash at my disposal. Some of that is getting saved and $750 is paying off the rest of what I owe on a car.

After MCT and MOS (further training) I will have a little more pay but after that I go on reserve status (crappy pay), until I can put in an application and get selected for active (short story: I took reserves to get the MOS I wanted and knock out some more college, not knocking reservists though).

Point is I will have a limited amount of funds and will realistically only be able to buy one gun and won't be getting another for quite a while. Also, I will be getting my carry permit on or after October 9th so I will need something I can carry.

My dilemma is I have wanted a S&W 686 SSR ever since I first saw it (*the word "wanted" being a huge understatement). I KNOW size and weight wise it is one of the least ideal choices for carry. To make matters worse I am not that big: 5'7" 140 lbs.

I just want to hear it from the guys (and gals ;)) here if,

1: It is feasible in any way at all for me to carry an SSR in cold weather (Summer carrying a big revolver in GA is out of the question).

2: If yes, what would be the best way (i.e. what style carry holster/rig to buy from what companies)

(edit)3: If yes to #1, what are some things I should be concerned about or look out for when carrying such a large, heavy handgun?

Or if I might as well be smoking crack for even thinking this is possible and need to suck it up and plan to buy something more practical, you can tell me that as well.

Thanks,

~Tucker

Last edited:

Mueller

For awhile I was carrying my 6" 686 and I found a holster that allowed IWB carry and if I wore a loose shirt or a loose denim vest, could even carry it in the summer time www.hoffners.com/min4a.jpg it's kydex, so sweating like a horse wasn't a problem.

I carried it just behind the hip point and the butt is high enough to not print and with a full trigger guard and retention, there was no concern about it losing it should I lean over, took a little bit of getting use to it, since up to that time I was carrying a 1911.

The hardest thing to hide if not wearing a cover garment is the speed loaders, so I used some speed strips and had them tucked into a pocket.

BillCA

1: It is feasible in any way at all for me to carry an SSR in cold weather (Summer carrying a big revolver in GA is out of the question).
Yes. The real problem will be the weight of the gun. Most good OWB holsters under a coat or jacket will suffice. So will a good vertical shoulder holster. Use OWB in winter to avoid having any layered sweaters, shirts, etc. blocking access to your gun.

2: If yes, what would be the best way (i.e. what style carry holster/rig to buy from what companies)
This will vary according to the gun, carry style and features you want. Some folks prefer a thumb-break strap while others want no straps at all.

(edit)3: If yes to #1, what are some things I should be concerned about or look out for when carrying such a large, heavy handgun?
a) Get a real gun belt to support the weight of the gun.
b) Ensure belt slots and belt size match for security/control.
c) Make sure your holster holds the grip against your body
d) Avoid IWB holsters putting the cylinder at/below beltline (comfort issue).
e) Positive retention device to prevent loss if you bend over, fall or run down stairs.

The Hoffner's Ultrux holster Mueller references looks to be a good design. Most of the revolver's weight is in the rear-frame & cylinder area. A holster too high off the belt line allows this area to "tip out". A holster too low puts the cylinder at or below the belt line, causing extra pressure and discomfort. The cylinder just above the belt line is ideal, but the holster must be rigid to resist tipping out, especially with shorter barrels. This appears to meet all those criteria.

gyvel

A great gun to be sure, and I had a pair of 586s that I loved, but got rid of simply because they were too heavy. In fact, at one time in the 80s, I had a bad case of tendonitis in both arms and I didn't even have the strength to hold the 586 at arms length singlehanded. I had to use both hands to support the gun.

I suspect that you will get real tired real soon of carrying it around because of the weight and I think you would be better off looking for something smaller and lighter.

Mueller

I grabbed a camera and took a couple pictures, sorry about the quality, neither the camera or myself are all that good. The holster is for a 4 inch 686, but had traded that away and used my 6 inch 686, the 6 inch would have a longer tab to keep the barrel away from your skin, it's not a problem though.

Speed loader pouch is also by Hoffners, though I don't know if they still offer it, you would need to inquire.

Attachments

• retouched holster.jpg
    retouched holster.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 130
  • PICT0047.JPG
    PICT0047.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

moccassins

I carry a fullsize Colt Government year round in Georgia and I'm one inch taller than you are, with the right belt and holster you'd be surprised how easy it is

Revelation76

I'd like to suggest a great nylon gun belt for comfort and support. The Wilderness Instructor Belt, from my home town- Phoenix (Sunnyslope area). Excellent belt and lower price than a good leather belt. I just got one last month and love it.

Last edited:

sourdough44

Does the 'SSR' imply a certain barrel length? Of course it would be doable, & you wouldn't forget you were carrying. With a short barrel,good belt & holster it would work. I think I'd go all the way down to a "J" frame & have all season carry.

SaberOne

The 686 SSR at 38.3 ounces empty, is a challenge for a body type like you have. I know because I’m just shy of 68” @ 155-lb. Still, I’ve been eyeing the 686 2.5” (35-ounce) and but I’ afraid it may get old quick with conceal carry. I live in the hottest area of Arizona where we have 114-temp days between Jun-Aug.

In the end, I opted for the 640 j-frame which is a fair compromise at 23-ounces and that provides a lot more options while still being all stainless.

azredhawk44

You "can" carry a 686, sure.

It won't be comfortable, though.

The SSR, as a six-shooter, is actually heavier than a 686+, as a seven-shooter. They drill out another ounce or two of material when cutting that 7th chamber.

I'd actually recommend either the 619 or 620 instead. 7-shooter L frame, but a lighter barrel making carry easier.

I tend to favor nimble revolvers, though, and REALLY like K-frame .357 magnums like the model 65 and 19 which are no longer made.

Tucker 1371

Thanks all.

I've got a good while before I'll have to decide but I think given the time I will probably end up having my permit (September-November) it will be cold enough for me to carry it under one of my jackets that I wear unzipped. This is usually what I wear every day when it is cold. When it warms up if I don't have the funds for a better hot weather carry gun I think I may be able to borrow something from my grandfather.

As for holsters, I'm kind of leaning toward the Hoffner's IWB that Mueller posted but I also noticed someone mentioned a shoulder rig which seems like it might be more comfortable, which ones should I look at?

Hedge313

First, Thank you for your service

Secondly, I had a 686 and a 66. I really like a 66 better. That being said, you are the one carrying it. Be sure to get a good belt. Don't skimp on quality here. If you decide that you HAVE to have that 686, it will serve you well.
Be safe man.

savit260

I carry a 4" Colt Python year round IWB, with just a loose T shirt for cover most of the time. The 686 is the same size and weight as the Python. A GOOD holster will make all the difference in the world with a gun this size. Not uncomfortable at all.

Here's mine in a Simply Rugged holster.

IMG_0771.jpg

Kreyzhorse

You can do it but I wouldn't call it ideal.

My sugestions to pull it off:

First and most importantly, get a good leather gun belt.

Second, get a good holster that's made for the gun and holds it tight against your body.

Finally, you will have to learn to dress around your gun.

Tucker 1371

First, Thank you for your service

I appreciate it but I haven't served anyone yet (unless you count customers at the Country Gentleman restaurant ;)), gotta earn the title first.

Did some number crunching and (after tax, car payment, stashing some in savings) if I bought a 686 and a Taurus 1911 I would have about $200 left over for ammo, $100 each. Good idea? (opinions on Taurus aside)

savit260

Doesn't sound like a good idea if you want to carry it. I'd go for the 686 and a high quality custom made holster belt and ammo. Skip the 1911 for now.

Two guns with no holsters, or cheap holsters aren't going to do you any good if you want to carry. A cheapo holster will sour you fast, and then you'll just leave your gun home.

A nice quality holster will take you farther than the second gun.

sophijo

ammo consideration

You can spend more on ammo than on the gun and stuff real quick. Is the military passing out 9mm to service men? ....maybe .45? If so free ammo is hard to beat and that would make some choices for you. Back to your question! I carry a SW 686 4" in a Simply Rugged pancake on a DM Bullard belt. Forget its there after awhile. You might be better served with a Wilderness Tactical belt though. Anyway; belt is key for carry. IMO belt trumps holster in terms of priority. Keep your eyes open Soldier and good luck to you!

Tucker 1371

Two guns with no holsters

Doh, forgot about the holster :(.

If I somehow found it in the budget to buy both then the 1911 is probably what I would carry, I would definitely buy good holsters for both though.

pogo2

It is possible...

I have a 686 with 2.5 inch barrel and have experimented with carrying it in a pancake holster made by PWL. The holster is actually for a S&W 66 snubby, but the 686 will fit. The 686 is only incrementally larger than the 66, and conceals fairly well since the holster pulls it tight against my side. It is pretty heavy, however.

SW68640-1.jpg

SW68642-1.jpg

n5odj

Tucker. I think you may not get paid as much for boot camp as you imagine. Remember, you'll be paying for every piece of uniform you get and every meal you get while in training. I spent 4 months at MCRD San Diego (yeah, I guess I'm a Hollywood Marine) & when I got done with that, they handed me a check for $900. That was ~1991, so it may have gone up, but you sure won't get rich doing it. I've never worked so hard for $900 in my life. :)

To echo what others have written, yes, you can carry a 686, but I think you'll soon enough figure out that you want a lighter handgun for carry.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee